Please Read First
This page contains information for F-1 and J-1 students who wish to change their major or program.
All international undergraduate students who have changed or added a major or minor, or graduate students who changed or added a program of study, are required to notify the Office of International Student and Study Abroad Services (ISSAS) immediately so that we may update SEVIS and issue you an updated I-20 (for F-1 students) or DS-2019 (for J-1 students).
Please review the information below on how to change your area of study. The process for approval may differ for J-1 students, depending on your situation (see below).
If you need to change your major/minor or program, please make the change through OneStop.
- First, visit the "Student Forms" section of the OneStop website.
- View the "Registration & Records" list and- click the link that says "Major/Minor and Adviser Change Form"
- After your record has been updated with the change, then notify your international student advisor.
- According to your family name, your advisor is listed on the following page:
- When emailing your advisor, you must include the following information:
- Your full name
- Your Student ID
- Major/minor/program that you have changed or added
*Please email from your NDSU email account so that we can verify your identity.
If you are an IELP (Intensive English Language Program) student who was conditionally admitted and has now gained full admission to an undergraduate program at NDSU, please consult with your international student advisor and the Office of Admission as early as possible upon application as a degree-seeking student so that this transition is smooth. A new I-20 listing the new major will be required.
If you are a graduate student who needs to request a program change, you should discuss this with your department and the Graduate School if necessary, and also complete the request form found on the Graduate School website: https://www.ndsu.edu/gradschool/current_students/forms/
I-20 or DS-2019 Pickup
Please notify us when the change has been made. Your international student advisor will then contact you if any further information is required. If a new I-20/DS-2019 is necessary, it will be ready for you to pick up at the ISSAS office in one week.
If you are a J-1 student whose DS-2019 isn't sponsored by NDSU, your sponsor will issue the updated DS-2019 if needed.
IMPORTANT NOTES FOR ALL J-1 STUDENTS
All international undergraduate students who have changed or added a major or minor, or graduate students who changed or added a program of study, are required to notify the Office of International Student and Study Abroad Services (ISSAS) immediately so that we may update SEVIS and issue you an updated DS-2019.
As a J-1 student, you must get prior approval for changing your major, or degree objective. Your J-1 sponsor is required keep documentation on file that the change was justified.
- If your DS-2019 is issued by NDSU, please contact Sara.J.Johnson@ndsu.edu for more information on updating your major/program.
- If your DS-2019 is issued by another organization, you must first contact your sponsor to ensure they can allow such a change under the guidelines of your program.