Content | Navigation |

Information about Letter Requests for students in F and J Visa Status


  • For students who wish to have a confirmation of their enrollment, you do not need a separate letter from ISSAS confirming your enrollment at NDSU. Your I-20 or DS-2019 already lists the needed information. Instead, please print out an Enrollment Verification through CampusConnection. An official or unofficial NDSU transcript is also an additional way of showing you are enrolled. If you are a graduate student, consider also obtaining a letter from your department or graduate academic advisor confirming your enrollment in your graduate program.
  • If you are wanting this verification of enrollment because you are travelling outside the US, be sure to get your I-20 signed if you are leaving the country - signatures are only valid for the past year upon re-entry (and for 6 months for F-1 students on OPT). J-1 students will need a travel validation signature at the bottom of their DS-2019, and signatures are also valid only for 1 year for J-1 students. If you are a J-1 student whose DS-2019 was not issued by NDSU, you must contact your sponsor for a travel signature.
  • Please note, that neither the ISSAS office nor the Office of Registration and Records issues invitation letters for students who wish to bring a spouse or child(ren) in F-2/J-2 status or family/friends as visitors in B-2 status. A letter has no bearing on the decision and is not necessary. It is the visa applicant's responsibility to find out what is needed for the visa application itself. Please note for students who want to bring F-2/J-2 dependents, please see this page for more information on bringing dependents to the United States.
  • You can write an invitation letter on your own, in which you state you wish to invite your family to join you as dependents, or if you want family to visit either for a personal temporary visit or a particular event like commencement (graduation ceremony).
  • If you would like to provide your family with confirmation of your enrollment at NDSU, please gather suggested documents under "Enrollment Verifications" above.
  • If you have an emergency situation related to a visa denial for a family member, where a letter from a school official is specifically requested in writing for your case by the consulate/embassy overseas, please contact your international student advisor for further guidance.

If you need confirmation of your enrollment in the UHCSR health insurance policy, or documentation that your policy has ended, you can request a certificate of coverage from UHCSR. Please call Customer Service at 1-877-433-6667 to request what is called a "Certificate of Credible Coverage."


If you are a sponsored J-1 graduate student and your sponsoring organization requires a special letter regarding your stay at NDSU, please contact your J-1 international student advisor directly to explain what is required and we can advise as needed.

Student Focused. Land Grant. Research University.

Follow NDSU
  • Facebook
  • Twitter
  • RSS
  • Google Maps

Office of International Student and Study Abroad Services
North Dakota State University
Phone: +1 (701) 231-7895 - Fax: +1 (701) 231-1014
Campus address: Memorial Union 116
Physical/delivery address: 1401 Administration Ave / Memorial Union 116, Fargo, ND  58102
Page manager: International Student and Study Abroad Services

Last Updated: Thursday, November 09, 2017 9:49:17 AM
Privacy Statement