Google Drive and apps like Docs, Drawings, Forms, Slides and Sheets allow you to access and work on your files from any Internet connected computer. Benefits include:
- Access your files from anywhere
- Unlimited storage
- Share files with anybody
- Use Google apps such as: Docs, Drawings, Forms, Slides, Sheets, YouTube
- Collaborate on files in real time
- Go to Google Drive(right click to open in a new tab or window)
- Type your NDSU email address (typically firstname.lastname@example.org) in the Email field.
- Log in with your NDSU electronic ID and passphrase
Install the Google Backup and Sync Client
Beginning May 12th, the Google Drive client will no longer be supported by Google. If you wish to continue to sync, or start syncing, your Google Drive content with your computer, you can do so by installing the new Google Backup and Sync client. Follow the steps below to install the Google Backup and Sync client to your computer:
- Go to https://www.google.com/drive/download/backup-and-sync/
- Click the Download Backup and Sync button
- Click the Agree and download button if you agree with the Google Terms of Service
- Depending on your browser, open or run the installbackupandsync.exe file
- Once the download and installation is complete you will need to open the client to sign in
- Click the Get Started button after you open the client
- Enter your NDSU email address (typically email@example.com)
- Click Next to be redirected to the CAS login page
- Enter your NDSU electronic ID and NDSU passphrase
- Uncheck the I am at a public workstation box
- Click the Login button
- Click the GOT IT button
- Select the folders you wish to sync from your computer, if any
- Click Next
- Click the GOT IT button
- Choose to either sync everything in your My Drive or the option to specify which folders to sync
- Click the Start button
- Your new folder, still named Google Drive, will open and start to download your content
Frequently Asked Questions
What is the difference between My Drive and Team Drives?
Google Team Drives are shared spaces where teams can easily store, search, and access their files anywhere, from any device.
Unlike files in Google Drive, files in Team Drive belong to the team instead of an individual. Even if members leave, the files stay exactly where they are so your team can continue to share information and get work done.
Can I share files with people outside of NDSU?
Yes. Right-click on the chosen file or folder and click Share... then enter their email addresses, or click Get shareable link for a link you can send to anybody.
I don't see my Team Drives in by Backup and Sync folder on my computer, how can I access my Team Drives?
The Google Backup and Sync client does not sync Team Drives. Your Team Drive files can be accessed through the web client at https://drive.google.com/ and logging in with your NDSU Google account.
Where can I go to get more information about Google Drive?
The Google Drive support pageprovides more help documents and information about advanced features and options.
How do I change my NDSU Google Drive password?
You use your NDSU electronic ID and passphrase to log into NDSU Google Drive. Please see the NDSU Account Management page for information on changing your passphrase and managing your NDSU account.
Help & Support
If you have questions or need assistance, contact the IT Help Desk.
Google Drive is available for:
Google Drive may be used for data protected by FERPA.
Google Drive is not suitable for data protected by HIPAA or for content impacted by export control restrictions.
More information about data protection: North Dakota University System Data Classification Standards. All NDSU students, faculty and staff are responsible for protecting private and restricted data, including data subject to export control regulations, FERPA, HIPAA, PCI and other pertinent state and federal laws and industry regulations. Contact the NDSU information security office if you have questions or concerns.