ITS Hardware Standards
ITS is recommending to all departments the purchase of HP EliteDesk (desktop) and HP EliteBook (laptop) computers. ITS is making this recommendation because the hardware contained within these systems will stay consistent for at least 18 months, thus making them enterprise-level hardware. Departments are free to order from other PC manufacturers but these system will not be supported by Desktop Support.
The benefits gained from the standardization of hardware:
- A lower purchase price for standard computers has been negotiated.
- The setup of the new computer can be streamlined through a process called imaging. The drivers for the standard models are placed within the image to allow for easier installation. Imaging allows for the base Windows installation, antivirus, and all updates to be installed with 30 minutes rather than many hours.
- Hardware replacement for out-of-warranty machines is made easier due to an increased parts supply of identical machines.
- Troubleshooting of hardware is easier because the technicians are familiar with the standard hardware.
Due to limited resources and budgets, Desktop Support does not support all computer based hardware. Items similar to Netbooks, iPad's, Kindles, tablet PC's and smart phones are not supported by the Desktop Support group. You may find some general assistance by visiting the IT Help Desk.
Upgrading the standard system by adding more RAM, bigger hard drive, or a different monitor does not have any effect on the standards and, if necessary, is recommended by ITS.
End of Life - Hardware
ITS does not support desktop hardware older than six years and laptop hardware older than five. We recommend that replacement hardware be in-place before your current hardware becomes 'End of Life'. The following list provides a general idea of what the final support date for common ITS supported systems.
- HP 800 EliteDesk G1 - June 30, 2020
- Dell OptiPlex 7010 / 9010 - June 30, 2019
- Dell OptiPlex 790 / 990 - June 30, 2018
- Dell OptiPlex 780 / 980 - June 30, 2016
- Dell Optiplex 760 / 960 - June 30, 2015
- HP 850/840/820 EliteBook G2 - June 30, 2020
- HP 850/840/820 EliteBook G1 - June 30, 2019
- Dell Latitude E6430 / E6530 - June 30, 2017
- Dell Latitude E6420 / E6520 - June 30, 2016
- Dell Latitude E6410 / E6510 - June 30, 2015
**For non-standard hardware, ITS does not support non-standard hardware. Please check with your vendor for support.
End of Life - Software
ITS will support all standard software, in the same manner, through the same length of time relating to the hardware support.
Desktop Support offers Operating System re-installation for supported computers, up to 3 months prior to end of hardware support. At this point, if the system was previously supported, we offer a non-supported image with the basic software (Office, antivirus etc.) but without support tools.
For non-standard computers, Desktop Support offers full standard software support and operating systeem reinstallation for 5 years for desktops and 4 years for laptops. The ship date will be used for determining actual age.
|Pre-negotiated purchase price||Yes||Yes||No||No|
|In warranty PC hardware replacement by ITS|
|Out of warranty PC hardware replacement by ITS|
|Mac warranty support||Book Store||Book Store||Book Store||Book Store|
|Hardware support||6 years||5 years||None||None|
|Software support||6 years||5 years||Limited||Limited|