Before You Can Access Your Office 365 Email Account Using Outlook
You MUST log in to the Microsoft Online Services Sign In tool, and then manually open Outlook and complete the detailed steps below.
Microsoft Online Services Sign In
Instructions for auto-configuring your email software using the Microsoft Online Services Sign-In tool:
NOTE for MAC users: If you do not have the Sign-In tool installed on your computer, launch Outlook and follow the instructions for auto-configuring Outlook for Office 365. (Step 3)
- After the upgrade, launch the Sign-In client and enter your NDSU Outlook email address and password. This is needed so that your applications, such as Outlook, can detect that the NDSU Outlook mailbox has been moved into Office 365 and then take the needed actions for tracking this moved mailbox down and updating the Outlook profile’s connection settings.
- After successfully logging into the Sign-In client, the display will only show the My Company Portal Option.
NOTE: The Sign-In client, upon successful login, will allow Outlook to auto-configure itself for Office 365.
- The Sign-In client will continue to function, displaying only the My Company Portal, for up to 7 days post-upgrade, at which point the Sign-In Client will disable itself and no longer automatically sign in.
Outlook and Office 365
The following steps need to be followed the first time you use Outlook to access Office 365 after the transition weekend. The images depict Outlook 2007, but the instructions are the same for Outlook 2007, Outlook 2010 and Outlook 2011.
- After successfully logging in (as described above), the Microsoft Online Services Sign-In Client no longer displays the Outlook, Live Meeting, or Office Communicator buttons.
- Outlook will now need to be manually launched using the desktop icon or using the Start Menu. There is also no need to continue signing into the Sign-in Client.
- After launching Outlook, users can expect to be prompted to select their profile. Typically, there is only one option to select. If there is more than one option, leave it on the one automatically selected UNLESS it is an email address other than your own. If it the automatically selected option is an email address other than your own, manually select the option that contains your email address.
Special Note for Mac Users: Upon opening Outlook, you may be prompted to Allow or Deny a change. This is the autodiscover feature needed to reconfigure Outlook and you need click Allow.
- After successfully selecting your profile, you will be prompted to log on to autodiscover. Enter your NDSU email address and your email password and click the OK button.
Note: In some cases, after selecting your profile, Outlook will open and download your most recent email. The configuration is complete and there is no need to continue with these steps.
- You will now receive a message prompting you to restart Outlook.
- After restarting Outlook,you may again receive the message to select your profile. After selecting your profile, click OK.
Note: If the Choose Profile box continues to open each time you open Outlook, follow these instructions.
- You will now be prompted to log in using your email address and email password.
- Your Outlook configuration for Office 365 should now be complete and ready to use.