NDSU Email (Office 365)
Clutter is enabled by default on all Office 365 email accounts. Clutter learns from an account-owner’s actions to identify messages that will likely be ignored. It gathers those messages into a separate Clutter folder and provides a summary list of messages that have been moved to the Clutter folder.
You have the option to disable Clutter by completing the following steps:
- Log in to your Office 365 account at https://login.microsoftonline.com
- Click the gear icon in the top right corner, and then click Mail under the My app settings
- Expand the Mail and Automatic Processing menus in the left menu if they are not already expanded
- Click Clutter
- Uncheck the option to Separate items identified as clutter
- Click Save to finish
Email mistakenly delivered to the Junk folder
If email messages are mistakenly delivered to your Junk Email folder instead of your inbox, you have several options to correct this issue:
|Outlook 2010/2013 (Windows)|
To make it easier to review your Junk folder for wanted messages, add the Junk folder to your favorites list in Outlook:
To move wanted messages out of your Junk folder:
Or, you have the option to turn off Junk email filtering completely:
|Outlook 2011 (Mac)|
|Webmail (Outlook Web Application)|
To safeguard messages from being mistakenly delivered to the Junk folder, you can add the sender or domain (what is after the @ sign) to your "safe senders" list or you can turn of Junk email filtering.
Add a safe sender:
OR, turn off Junk email filtering completely:
NOTE: Turning off Junk email filtering can lead to an increase in the number of spam email messages delivered to your Inbox.
Password issues upon first accessing your account
On the first attempt to access an NDSU email account, users sometimes get caught in a "password loop."
To solve this problem, call the IT Help Desk (231-8685, option 1) to have your password reset.
Changing the default address list to the Global Address List
By default, Outlook is set to open the Offline Global Address List. This needs to be changed to open to the Global Address List.
- In Outlook, open your Address Book
- In the Address Book, click Tools
- Click Options
- In the drop down box at the bottom, select Global Address List
- Click OK
- Close your Address Book
Error on clicking a link in Outlook
You may receive an error when clicking on a link in Microsoft Outlook that resembles this:
This operation has been cancelled due to restrictions in effect on this computer. Please contact your system administrator.
This is usually caused by a missing registry key in Windows, and sometimes this happens when there are updates to your computer. To fix the problem, follow the steps below:
Internet Explorer 9 and Internet Explorer 10
- Start Internet Explorer
- Click the gear icon in the upper right corner, and then select Internet Options
- Click the Advanced tab, and then click Reset
- Click the Programs tab, and then click Set programs
- Click Set your default programs
- Click to select Microsoft Outlook, and then click Set this program as default
- Click OK, and then close the Default Programs dialog box
- In the Internet Options dialog box, click the Programs tab, and then click Make default under Default web browser
- Click OK
Unable to see personal Contacts
A few customers have reported that they can't see their personal contacts while sending an email.
Solution - While creating an email, click "TO" and then select the "Contacts" group from the drop-down under the "Address Book" category.
Also see "Change Default Address Book" in the documents section.
Set up email forwarding in Office 365
- Go to the Microsoft Office 365 login page (right click to open in a new tab or window)
- Log in with your email address and the password
- Click on the gear icon in the top right corner of the page, and then click Mail under the My app settings
- On left side expand Accounts if they are not already expanded and click on Forwarding
- Choose Start forwarding, and enter the email address to which you want messages forwarded
- Leave the checkbox checked to ensure you don't lose any messages
- Click Save to finish