Equipment Checkout Policies
Each user is assigned a specific number of units. One hour of resource usage is equivalent to one unit. Equipment can only be reserved if the user has enough units available. Once the equipment is checked back in, the used units will be added back to the users pool of units.
**For example; If a user has ten units and they request a piece of equipment for three hours they would have 7 units left until they return that equipment.**
Check out and Reservation Policies:
- Check out equipment is intended for educational use only to aid in projects, presentations and the delivery of academic material.
- In order to serve you better, we only take reservations via the web.
- Users must present a valid NDSU ID card at the time of equipment checkout.
- A reservation is not a guarantee. If the equipment reserved is not available, a replacement may be found.
- Reserved equipment will only be checked out the user whose name appears on the reservation.
- Users must read, understand, and sign the equipment checkout receipt before given the equipment.
Equipment Check In:
- Equipment must be returned in the same cosmetic and functional state that it was in when checked out.
- All equipment accessories (memory cards, cables, manuals, ect.) must be returned with the equipment and in the same cosmetic and functional state that it was in when checked out.
- Equipment must be returned at the same location it was checked out unless stated otherwise.
- Users must sign the equipment check in receipt to indicate that they have returned the equipment.
Late and Damaged Equipment Policies:
- Equipment that is returned more than one hour beyond its return date and time will be considered late. Late equipment is subject to late fees and possible loss of equipment privileges.
- Late fees will be charged per reservation at a rate of $5 after the first hour and $0.50 for each additional hour. This includes both operational and non-operational hours of the IT Help Desk.
- Please note that "per reservation" means that only one late fee will be charged for multiple pieces of equipment that were reserved at the same time. For example, a student who reserves both a laptop and a camera together will only be charged once if they are returned late. However, if only part of the reservation is returned, late fees will continue to accrue until the remaining equipment is returned.
- Fees will be billed directly to the campus account of the customer (student, staff, or faculty) whose name appears on the reservation. Late fees can only be paid at NDSU One Stop or campus business office. Fees cannot be paid at the IT Help Desk.
- Late fees will be charged for up to two weeks from the original due date, at which time either the full or estimated replacement cost for the equipment will be charged to the customer.
- If equipment is returned late three times in an academic year, the user will be banned from checking out equipment for the remainder of that year.
- The customer is responsible for equipment that is returned damaged, as well as for missing parts or accessories that were not noted at the time of checkout. The costs associated with repair or replacement will be billed to customer's campus account.
If you have any questions about these policies or wish to extend a reservation please contact the IT Help Desk at 231-8685 (opt. 1).