Grade Center Improvements
Several Grade Center issues introduced in past Blackboard upgrades have been resolved and two new options have been added:
- Number of columns displayed: The Grade Center adjusts to display as many columns as the size of the window allows.
- Full screen view: See more columns and rows without scrolling by clicking the Full Screen View icon in the top-right corner of the Grade Center -- the course menu on the left and the top banner disappears.
- View full column names: Column names automatically wrap to multiple lines so the full name is visible.
- Zero Scores: Scores entered as zeros (0.00) no longer display negative symbols (-0.00).
- Quick Comments: Comments added in a grade cell in the Quick Comment Text Editor no longer fail to save.
Course Color Customization Returns
Instructors can change the background and text colors of the Course Menu on the left.
Extended menu areas such as the Control Panel for instructors and the My Groups menu for students remain in the dark gray and white color scheme.
Easily Check and Change Course Availability
Instructors can easily see if the course is available or unavailable to students and change the availability status with a single click!
A padlock icon appears near the Edit Mode and Student Preview icons in the upper right corner. The padlock is open when the course is available and closed when it isn't. Click the padlock icon to quickly change the course availability.
Note: The padlock icon does not appear on the Announcements page and some other pages in the course. Course availability can also be changed via the Control Panel > Customization > Properties > Make Course Available options, as always.
Record Attendance in Blackboard
The new Attendance Tool allows instructors to mark each student as present, late, absent or excused using a computer and mouse or a mobile device (cell phone, tablet, etc.) with a touch screen during each class. The attendance records for each student appear in a single column in the Grade Center instead of having a separate column for each class meeting.
The first time instructors access the Attendance tool in a course (Control Panel > Course Tools > Attendance), an Attendance column is automatically created in the Grade Center. This column can be used to calculate grades in the same way other grade columns can be used.
Note: The Attendance tool is NOT supported in Internet Explorer 11.
Delete Multiple Grade Center Columns at Once
Clean up your grade books quickly by deleting multiple Grade Center columns at once!
Selected manual and calculated columns are removed completely. Selected columns linked to gradable items (i.e. assignments, tests, etc.) remain in the Grade Center, but the student attempt data is cleared.
Important: Deleted columns and any data they contained cannot be restored later.
- Open the full Grade Center.
- Click Manage > Column Organization.
- Check the boxes to the left of any column to be deleted.
- Click Delete.
- Verify the selected columns and click Continue, then click Delete.
Discussion Board Improvements
Replies to Me - Count and Filter
Keeping up with large Discussion Board forums is easier - participants see a new "Replies to Me" column which displays a count and allows them to filter results to see only new replies others have made to the their posts.
Forum Subscriptions Option Fixed
Participants have the option to "Subscribe" to Discussion Board forums so they receive an email notification when new posts are added to the forum. Some users have not received these email notifications since the July 2017 Blackboard upgrade at NDSU.
Participants who click Subscribe will receive email notifications of new posts as designed.
Instructors no longer lose all of the scores and feedback they've added in the assignment Rubric if they accidentally leave the assignment attempt without clicking Save Draft or Submit!
Scores and feedback entered in the rubric are automatically saved to the assignment attempt as a draft version as long as the instructor has clicked the Save button in the rubric screen.
Collaborate Ultra Sessions in Groups
Instructors can make Collaborate Ultra sessions available to student Groups in their course so group members can share content, use the whiteboard and create recordings within their groups.
- Click Users and Groups > Groups
- Click the down-arrow to the right of a group > Edit Group
- Scroll down to Tool Availability > Blackboard Collaborate Ultra > select "Allow all group members to create and access session recordings."
Chemistry Notation in Math Editor
The math editor (equation editor) available to instructors and students in any text box has been updated to a newer version of WIRIS. This version adds tools specific to chemistry, including an embedded periodic table of elements.
Want to Learn More?
Current Upgrade Resources and Tutorials:
Past Upgrade Resources and Tutorials