Blackboard Upgrade - July 2017
New Features and Changes
The latest version of Blackboard Learn includes new features and changes that will simplify and enhance many features you currently use, save you time and make it easier to complete your daily tasks, provide a much-improved mobile experience and improve the accessibility of the technology. Check out the changes!
Drag and Drop Files
Instructors and students can quickly drag files from their computers to the "hot spot" location indicated in the Attach Files area in content items, assignments, web links, blogs, journals, portfolios and the content collection (the Files area).
Additionally, if the browser allows it users can drag folders into the "hot spot" area to quickly upload individual files all at once!
Assignment Submission Receipts
The Review Submission History page now displays a submission receipt after students submit a Blackboard assignment successfully. This feature gives students assurance about their work and provides evidence for academic disputes.
The success receipt displays a confirmation number students can copy and save as proof of their submission.
- Students receive a different number for each submission for assignments allowing multiple attempts.
- Students can also receive a notification email containing the confirmation number and other details for each submission, including attached files.
- Students can access their submission receipts at any time from the Submissions filter area on their My Grades page.
- A receipt is generated for each group member when one student submits a group assignment on behalf of the group.
- If Anonymous Grading is enabled on an assignment, the anonymity is preserved in the submission receipts.
- Instructors and System Administrators can keep track of all student submissions in the Grade Center, even if the attempt or assignment is deleted or the submission history is changed.
Missing Coursework Reminders
Instructors can quickly send system generated email reminders from Grade Center columns to students and group members who have missing coursework. The email automatically lists the course, coursework, and the due date if included.
When you click "Send Reminder" the message is automatically sent to any student with missing work for that column. Instructors will see this receipt message in Grade Center:
Cancel/Submit Button Changes
Users no longer need to scroll up or down to locate the Cancel or Submit buttons! The Cancel/Submit buttons will always remain pinned to the bottom of the page regardless of the device or browser in use so they will always be easy to find.
Grading Improvements - Needs Grading and Grade Center
A new filter is now available in the Needs Grading workflow which allows instructors to show or hide attempts that will never be used for grade calculations when multiple-attempt assessments are set to calculate using either the first or last attempt:
Attempts that won't calculate towards the assessment grade are now marked with an icon in the Full Grade Center:
Self and Peer Assessments Improvements
Students who don't submit anything to a Self and Peer Assessment during the required submission period are now excluded from the evaluation process. Submitters with partial or complete submissions will be distributed among the rest of the students for evaluations.
By pairing an assessment with Adaptive Release rules, it's now possible to configure Self and Peer Assessments for individual groups.
Course Activity Report Enhancements
Instructors can now filter the the Course Activity Overview report to break down the calculations of student activity by course groups for large courses (Control Panel | Evaluation | Course Reports).
SafeAssign URL Adder Tool
The SafeAssign plagiarism detection service is available via Blackboard submitted assignments and/or SafeAssign Direct Submit. SafeAssign compares documents against several international databases and an institutional database and generates an Originality Report.
The new URL Adder tool was created to allow users to suggest to SafeAssign additional webpages and websites that may not have been flagged or referenced in the Originality Reports and submission analysis.
The URL Adder is available to instructors through: Course Tools | SafeAssign | Suggest URL
- Any URLs included using the URL Adder tool will be available to all SafeAssign users and institutions, so suggesting URLs can benefit the entire SafeAssign community.
- URLs suggested to SafeAssign will be added to the overall SafeAssign Internet Search database on a monthly basis.
Want to Learn More?
Current Upgrade Resources and Tutorials:
Past Upgrade Resources and Tutorials