Resources and Tutorials
- How Do I Log In to Blackboard?
- Quick Start Videos for Faculty (New!)
- Quick Start Videos for Students
- Create Courses (Instructors)
- Adding a Course Banner
- Master/Child (combined) Courses
- Request Organization
Master/Child Courses: Merged (Combined) Course Sections
Why use Master/Child courses?
- Master/Child courses allow instructors to use the same content for multiple sections in one place - no need to maintain multiple courses.
- For courses like COMM 110 with many instructors and sections, a coordinator can organize the content that multiple instructors will use, thereby ensuring continuity and consistency across sections.
- Blackboard, Inc. adopted Master/Child courses as the standard way to combine sections, and in the future, it will be required for uploading official grades from Blackboard directly into Campus Connection.
How do I create Master/Child Courses?
You must use the Blackboard Manager Utility to create/activate and merge and/or copy courses each semester.
- Bb Manager Utility
- Bb Manager Utility - Instructions (printable PDF)
- Managing a Master/Child Course - Instructions for Faculty (printable PDF)
How do Master/Child Courses work?
- The Master course has all of the content, participants, grading, and assignments within it. It is used for processing, and the students see only the Master course.
- The Child courses contain the separate rosters for each set of students. Instructors see the Child courses in their course list, but they don't use them for anything. Content added to a Master course does not appear in child courses.
- Instructors should hide the Child courses from their own course lists to avoid confusion.
- Clean Up Your Course List - text instructions
- Hide Unwanted Courses from Your Blackboard Course Lists - Energy Shots video tutorial
Because all of the students are included in one Master course, communication and grading can be a bit tricky if you want to work with only one class section of students at a time:
- Concerned mostly about grading and have less than 8 child sections?
Create and use Grade Center Smart Views for an easy way to simplify grading!
- Want to be able to access the separate course sections for Email, course content AND/OR grading?
Create and use Groups for each child section for email, special course content and grading.