Get Started: Purchase and Register Your Clicker
Purchase a clicker or an app for a mobile device
Many instructors use Turning Technologies clickers to facilitate active learning and increase participation in their class. If you enroll in a class that uses clickers, you will need to purchase one.
Clickers are available for purchase at the NDSU Bookstore. You can use the same device for multiple classes during the same semester. Depending on which subscription you purchase, you can also use the device for multiple semesters. Once a subscription expires, you will need to purchase a new subscription to continue using ResponseWare/Mobile App or the QT2, QT2 or NXT Device.
NXT Clicker (Old)
(No longer available for purchase)
ResponseWare/TurningPoint Mobile App
|New to clickers||Purchase a new QT2 Device|
Purchase a Subscription: A subscription will provide you with full registration for your clicker and access to use your Web-enabled device (E.g., smarphones, tablet, laptop)
|Have ResponseWare/Mobile App||If you prefer to use a clicker device, or if your instructor does not allow use of ResponseWare/Mobile App, you can purchase the new QT2|
No action required, provided your ResponseWare/Mobile App subscription has not expired. Note: Check with your instructor to find out if ResponseWare/Mobile App is allowed in the course.
|Have an NXT Clicker||Upgrade to the new QT2 Device|
If you have a Web-enabled device (e.g., smartphone, tablet, laptop), you can purchase ResponseWare/Mobile App subscription to turn your device into a clicker. Note: Before you purchase, check with your instructor to find out if ResponseWare/Mobile App is allowed in the course.
Register your clicker via Blackboard
Directions for registering your NXT, QT, QT2 or ResponseWare/TurningPoint Mobile App subscription are provided below. Students who already have a Turning Account should use the Returning Users Instructions.
After you've registered in one Blackboard course, you are automatically registered in any other Blackboard course in which you're enrolled that uses clickers.
Start using your clicker
Get started using your clicker device:
If your instructor allows use of smartphones, tablets or laptops to submit responses in class, get started using ResponseWare/TurningPoint Mobile App:
Common Issues and FAQs
How to address missing points for in-class participation:
To receive points for participating with your clicker or mobile device, students must have a Turning account with:
- An active Turning subscription
- The Device ID entered from the QT2, QT or NXT device you are using in class (this is NOT required if only using ResponseWare/TurningPoint Mobile App)
- Your Turning account associated or synced with your Blackboard account
If you have created a Turning account but are missing one of these three requirements, your instructor will be unable to upload any points you have earned. If you not receiving points for participating in class, please verify your Turning account is accurate and complete by following the directions to verify your Turning Account.
After updating your Turning account, you will need to notify your instructor that you have updated your Turning account so they update their participant list to reflect the changes made to your account so any future points are correctly uploaded to your Blackboard grade center. Your instructor may choose to award you points from prior sessions, however you should check your course syllabus or ask your instructor
Benefits of using clickers as a student:
- You answer questions in private – no need for you to raise your hand and be called upon. This can encourage shy students to participate more readily.
- The answers are collected almost instantly. This allows you and your professor to make efficient use of your time together as a class.
- The system will give a summary of all the answers transmitted right after the question ends, giving you and your instructor valuable and immediate feedback. With this feedback, your instructor will know what points need more discussion and explanation, and which points are understood.
How to take care of your clicker:
- Bring your clicker to every class period.
- Replace the AAA alkaline batteries at your own expense when required. The battery icon in the top right corner of the readout will tell you how much battery life is left in your clicker.
What to do if you lose your clicker:
- First, check the classroom(s), local lost and founds, and check with your instructors in case the clicker was found and turned in.
- If you still can't find it, contact the IT Help Desk to report it as lost. If the clicker is turned into the IT Help Desk, we will contact you.
- If you need to replace your clicker before it is found and turned in, you will have to return to the registration tool in your Blackboard course and register your new Device ID number. Tell your instructor what your new Device ID number is so that he/she can update the roster to reflect that change.
How to buy/sell or lend/borrow clickers:
Students can buy/sell clickers from other students. The student who is buying the unit will be able to register the unit as his/her own using the registration tool in the Blackboard course.
It is not advisable for two or more students to share the same clicker during a semester because each Device ID is unique to the student.
What to do if your clicker stops working:
If your clicker stops working, please contact the IT Help Desk. Staff can assist with troubleshooting the issue.
- If your clicker turns off fairly quickly, it isn't faulty. The clickers are set up to do that to save battery life.
- With new clickers, you need to pull the battery tab on the back of the unit before using.
- Contact Turning Technologies Support at 866-746-3015.