Step 1: Getting Started
Purchase a TurningPoint Subscription and/or a Clicker (if required) / Download the TurningPoint Mobile App
Many instructors use Turning Technologies clickers to facilitate active learning and increase participation in their class. If you enroll in a class that requires TurningPoint clickers, you will need to purchase a TurningPoint subscription and a clicker.
**If your instructor allows it, you can also download the free TurningPoint Mobile app (previously known as ResponseWare) from your device app store and use your mobile device to respond to "clicker" questions in class. You must still purchase and register a TurningPoint subscription to use your mobile device as a clicker.
TurningPoint subscriptions and clickers are available for purchase at the NDSU Bookstore. You can use the same device for multiple classes during the same semester. Depending on which subscription you purchase, you can also use the device for multiple semesters. Once a subscription expires, you will need to purchase a new subscription to continue using the TurningPoint Mobile app or a QT2, QT, or NXT clicker.
NXT Clicker (Old)
(No longer available for purchase)
TurningPoint Mobile App
|Are New to clickers:||Purchase a new QT2 device if required by your instructor or download the TurningPoint Mobile app from your device app store to use your Web-enabled device as a clicker if allowed by your instructor|
Purchase a Subscription: A subscription provides you with full registration for your clicker and access to use your Web-enabled device (e.g., smartphone, tablet, or laptop) with the free TurningPoint Mobile app
|Have ResponseWare/TurningPoint Mobile App:||If you prefer to use a clicker device, or if your instructor does not allow use of TurningPoint Mobile, you can purchase the new QT2 device|
No action required IF your TurningPoint subscription has not expired. Note: Check with your instructor to find out if the TurningPoint Mobile App is allowed in the course.
|Have a QT or NXT Clicker:||The QT device will still work. If you have the older NXT clicker, upgrade to the new QT2 device|
No action required IF your TurningPoint subscription has not expired. The subscription also allows you to use the TurningPoint Mobile app to turn your device into a clicker. Note: Check with your instructor to find out if TurningPoint Mobile app is allowed in the course.
Step 2: Register your subscription and/or (if required) your clicker via Blackboard
You MUST register your TurningPoint subscription and/or your QT2, QT, or NXT clicker via Blackboard to ensure that points are associated with the Blackboard gradebook. Students who already have a Turning Account should use the Returning Users Instructions.
After you've registered a subscription and/or clicker in one Blackboard course, you are automatically registered in any other Blackboard course you're in enrolled in that uses clickers.
Subscription and Clicker Registration Instructions for New Users (Video):
Correct your TurningPoint Account Email Address
Students must use their @NDSU.EDU email address to create a TurningPoint Account! If you used your email login (@ndus.edu) or any other email address, points will not sync/display in Blackboard until you correct your email address with TurningPoint.
To correct your email address:
- Call 866-746-3015 (the TurningPoint Help Desk)
- Ask them to correct your email address and move your subscription (license) to the new email address
Step 3: Start using your clicker or your mobile device
Note: By default,TurningPoint clicker devices connect to "Channel 41". You must change the channel setting on your clicker device to the same channel the instructor's TurningPoint receiver is using before attempting to respond to clicker questions. The channel number will be visible on the instructor's screen OR the instructor will provide the channel number to you. The channel number is not needed if you are using a mobile device to respond rather than a physical clicker device.
To change the device channel (Students):
- Press the CH key on the left side of the clicker device above the keypad
- Use the keypad to enter the correct channel number (1-74) in the New Channel? prompt
- Press the up arrow key below the left-arrow icon displayed on the left side of the screen
- The channel number should be displayed in the top-left corner of the response window
Get started using your clicker device:
If your instructor allows the use of smartphones, tablets or laptops to submit responses in class, free TurningPoint Mobile apps are available for download from your device's App Store. You can also use any Internet browser to connect to a TurningPoint session from your mobile device.
Common Issues and FAQs
Missing points for in-class participation?
To receive points for participating with your clicker or mobile device, you must have a Turning account with:
- An active TurningPoint subscription (not expired)
- Your TurningPoint subscription must be registered with your Blackboard account
- The Device ID from the QT2, QT or NXT device you are using in class must be entered in your Blackboard account (NOT required if you are only using the TurningPoint Mobile app)
If you have created a Turning account but are missing one of these three requirements, your instructor(s) will be unable to upload any clicker points you have earned to the Blackboard gradebook. If you are not receiving points for participating in class, please verify that your Turning account is accurate and complete by following the directions to verify your Turning Account.
After updating your Turning account, you can notify your instructor that you have updated your account. Future points earned after you update your account will be correctly uploaded to the Blackboard gradebook. Your instructor may choose to award you points from prior sessions, however you should check your course syllabus or ask your instructor to upload those sessions again.
Benefits of using clickers as a student:
- You answer questions in private – no need for you to raise your hand and be called upon. This can encourage shy students to participate more readily.
- The answers are collected almost instantly. This allows you and your instructor to make efficient use of your time together as a class.
- The system can display a summary of all the answers transmitted right after the question ends, giving you and your instructor valuable and immediate feedback. With this feedback, your instructor will know what points need more discussion and explanation, and which points are understood.
How to take care of your clicker:
- Bring your clicker to every class period.
- Replace the AAA alkaline batteries at your own expense when required. The battery icon in the top right corner of the readout will tell you how much battery life is left in your clicker.
What to do if you lose your clicker:
- First, check the classroom(s), local lost and found desks, and check with your instructors in case the clicker was found and turned in.
- If you still can't find it, contact the IT Help Desk to report it as lost. If the clicker is turned into the IT Help Desk, we will contact you.
- If you need to replace your clicker before it is found and turned in, you will have to return to the registration tool in your Blackboard course and register your new Device ID number. Tell your instructor what your new Device ID number is so that he/she can update the roster to reflect that change.
How to buy/sell or lend/borrow clickers:
Students can buy/sell clickers from/to other students. The student who is buying the unit will be able to register the unit as his/her own using the registration tool in the Blackboard course.
It is not advisable for two or more students to share the same clicker during a semester because each Device ID is unique to the student.
What to do if your clicker stops working:
If your clicker stops working, please contact the IT Help Desk. Staff can assist with troubleshooting the issue.
- If your clicker turns off fairly quickly, it isn't faulty. The clickers are set up to do that to save battery life. Press any key on the device to turn it back on.
- With new clickers, you need to pull the battery tab on the back of the unit before using.
- Contact Turning Technologies Support at 866-746-3015.