What is Respondus LockDown Browser?
Respondus LockDown Browser is a secure browser that locks down the testing environment within Blackboard. When LockDown Browser is required for an exam:
- Students can't access other applications and websites during an exam
- Students can't copy or print exam content
- Students are locked into the exam until it is submitted for grading
- Students can't use a search engine (i.e. Google)
Note: If a Blackboard exam is set to require Respondus LockDown Browser, students cannot open the exam using a standard web browser (i.e. Firefox, Chrome, MS Edge, Internet Explorer, Safari, etc.)
The LockDown Browser should only be used during Blackboard exams. It should not be used to access other parts of a course in Blackboard.
How Do I Get It?
Students and instructors can download and install LockDown Browser at any time. Because the LockDown Browser installation is different for each institution you must download it from this link only:
Download and and install Respondus LockDown Browser for NDSU Users - previously installed LockDown Browser versions will continue to work with the NDUS Blackboard system.
Respondus LockDown Browser is already installed on all Windows and Macintosh computers in the NDSU computer clusters.
How Do I Use It? Instructors
To Enable/Disable LockDown Browser for exams:
- In Blackboard, click Course Tools (below the Control Panel)
- Click Respondus LockDown Browser
- Check "Don't show this page again" OR click "Continue to LockDown Browser>" if prompted
- In the Respondus LockDown Browser Dashboard, click the icon to the left of the exam title
- Click Settings
- Check "Require Respondus LockDown Browser for this exam" - the box expands to show the password options
- Passwords are NOT required; if you DO want students to enter a password, type a password in the optional "Password to access exam" box - DO NOT add a password for this test in the Test Options in Blackboard!
- Check "Don't require Respondus LockDown Browser for this exam" to remove the LockDown Browser requirement for this exam
- If "Error" displays in the LockDown Browser column on the right, you must click "Fix It" before making the exam available to students!
Note: Errors can be caused by making changes to the Test Options for this exam in Blackboard - pay attention to the small print at the bottom of the LockDown Browser Dashboard screen to avoid Errors!
- Click Save and Close
How Do I Use It? Students
To take an exam or quiz where the instructor requires Respondus LockDown Browser:
- If logged into Blackboard using another browser (i.e. Firefox, Chrome, Safari, etc.) - log out of Blackboard > close the browser
- Download and install the Respondus LockDown Browser application if it is not installed on your computer
- Open the Respondus LockDown Browser application
- Close any applications necessary if prompted to do so
- Log in to the NDUS Blackboard system using NDUS credentials > begin the exam > click Submit when finished > close Respondus LockDown Browser to return normal control of your computer