What is Respondus LockDown Browser?
Respondus LockDown Browser is a secure browser that locks down the testing environment within Blackboard. When LockDown Browser is required for an exam:
- Students can't access other applications and websites during an exam
- Students can't copy or print exam content
- Students are locked into the exam until it is submitted for grading
- Students can't use a search engine (i.e. Google)
Note: If a Blackboard exam is set to require Respondus LockDown Browser, students won't be able to open the exam using a standard web browser (i.e. Internet Explorer, Firefox, Safari, Google Chrome, etc.)
The LockDown Browser should only be used during Blackboard exams. It should not be used to access other parts of a course in Blackboard.
Contact ITS Instructional Services for more information (email@example.com )
How Do I Get It?
Students and instructors can download and install LockDown Browser at any time. Because the LockDown Browser installation is different for each institution you must download it from this link only:
Respondus LockDown Browser is already installed on all computers in the NDSU computer clusters - Windows and Macintosh.
How Do I Use It?
To Enable/Disable LockDown Browser for exams:
- In Blackboard, click Course Tools (below the Control Panel)
- Click Respondus LockDown Browser
- In the Respondus LockDown Browser Dashboard, click the icon to the left of the exam title
- Click Modify Settings
- Check "Require Respondus LockDown Browser for this exam" - the box expands to show the password options
- Passwords are NOT required; if you DO want students to enter a password, type a password in the optional "Password to access exam" box - DO NOT add a password for this test in the Test Options in Blackboard!
- Using a "Password to close browser and exit exam early" is optional as well - this password is for instructor/proctor use only and should not be given to students
- Check "Don't require Respondus LockDown Browser for this exam" to remove the LockDown Browser requirement for this exam
- If "Error" displays in the LockDown Browser column on the right, you must click "Fix It" before making the exam available to students!
Note: Errors can be caused by making changes to the Test Options for this exam in Blackboard - pay attention to the information at the bottom of the LockDown Browser Dashboard screen to avoid Errors!
- Click Save and Close
Avoid Exam Issues!
If your computer has a Respondus LockDown Browser version installed prior to December, 2013, download and reinstall the most current version BEFORE starting an exam using LockDown Browser!