Respondus 4.0 is a powerful tool for creating and managing online exams. Exams can be created offline using a familiar Windows environment such as MS Word or a plain text editor and published directly to Blackboard courses. Blackboard exams can also be printed to paper or saved as Word or PDF files from Respondus.
Respondus 4.0 also provides other time-saving tools such as equation editors, web links, and multimedia functions.
Whether you're a veteran at creating online exams or relatively new to it, Respondus will save you hours on each exam each semester!
Note: Respondus 4.0 is NOT the same application as Respondus LockDown Browser.
NDSU recently purchased a campus-wide license to make Respondus 4.0 available to NDSU faculty and staff at no cost. Respondus 4.0 can be easily installed on multiple Windows computers for both on-campus and off-campus use.
Once Respondus 4.0 is installed you must also connect Respondus to the Blackboard server to publish exams to Blackboard or to retrieve exam data from Blackboard to Respondus. See the Download/Installation and Blackboard Connection Instructions below for more information.
- Operating System: Windows 7, 8 or 10 (not available for Macintosh)
- Memory: 32 MB RAM minimum
- Hard Disk Space: 10 MB of free hard disk space for program files
- Monitor: 1024x768 or 1280x720 minimum resolution
- Mobile App: Not available - can be installed on tablet devices using the Windows OS (i.e. Surface Pro, etc.)
- Browser: Internet Explorer must be running in the background to connect to the Blackboard server to publish exams or retrieve exam data
Note: Be sure you open Internet Explorer rather than Microsoft Edge to publish exams to Blackboard or retrieve exam data from Blackboard. Internet Explorer is hidden by default in Windows 10, but it is still available - use these instructions to locate Internet Explorer in Windows 10:
- Click the Windows Search button (or Cortana, if displayed) - type "Internet Explorer" in the Search box.
- Right-click the Internet Explorer Desktop app link that appears > select Pin to Start AND/OR Pin to taskbar to make it easier to find and open Internet Explorer rather than Microsoft Edge.
Respondus 4.0 can be downloaded and installed on any Windows computer. Respondus does not work on Macintosh computers.
Note: Previously installed single-license versions of Respondus 4.0 can no longer connect to the NDSU Blackboard server. You must uninstall the single-license version after installing the campus-wide version.
A connection between Respondus and the NDSU Blackboard server must be established after installing the software to be able to publish exams to Blackboard courses or retrieve data from Blackboard exams. This Blackboard connection only needs to be created once.
Note: To avoid connection errors, open Internet Explorer before you establish the connection to the Blackboard server, and each time you use Repondus to publish an exam or retrieve exam data.
Several excellent resources designed to help you use Respondus 4.0 are available from Respondus.com and Instructional Services.
Instructional Services staff offers brief Respondus 4.0 information sessions and/or 1-hour "hands-on" Respondus workshops. Check the schedule and/or register at https://www.ndsu.edu/its/training/facstaff .
Respondus 4.0 is generally very stable and problem-free; however, you may experience these common warning messages or errors while using Respondus.