Connect Respondus 4.0 to Blackboard
To use Respondus to upload exams to a Blackboard course or to retrieve exam data from Blackboard to Respondus for printing and reporting purposes, you need to create a connection to the NDSU Blackboard server for Spring 2019 courses and/or to the NDUS Blackboard Learn server for Summer 2019 courses and beyond after installing the software:
For NDSU Blackboard connections - Open Internet Explorer before you begin to avoid seeing an error message while connecting to Blackboard; you won't need to use Internet Explorer - it just needs to be running in the background!
For NDUS Blackboard Learn connections - Internet Explorer does NOT need to be opened before establishing the connection.
Note: Be sure you open Internet Explorer rather than Microsoft Edge - Internet Explorer is hidden by default in Windows 10, but it is still available; use these instructions to locate Internet Explorer in Windows 10:
- Click the Windows Search button (or Cortana, if displayed) - type "Internet Explorer" in the Search box.
- Right-click the Internet Explorer Desktop app link that appears > select Pin to Start AND/OR Pin to taskbar to make it easier to find and open Internet Explorer rather than Microsoft Edge.
- Double-click the Respondus 4.0 Campus-wide icon to open Respondus with the Start tab selected
- Click Open on the Start tab
- Select any file > click Open
- Click Preview + Publish > click Publish to Blackboard > click Publish Wizard
- Select - add new server -
- Click Next
- To connect to Blackboard at NDSU > select NDSU Blackboard > click OK
- To connect to the NDUS Blackboard Learn system > select NDUS Blackboard Learn > click OK
- Add a descriptive name (ex. NDUS Bb or NDSU Bb) > click Next
Note: Check the "Save my User Name and Password" option ONLY if you don't share this computer with other users
- For Blackboard at NDSU: Enter your NDSU username and password > click Login
- For the NDUS Blackboard Learn system: Enter your NDUS username and password > click Login
(the same as your Campus Connection credentials)
- Click Close After Login in the top-right corner when you see the Blackboard Home page
For Blackboard at NDSU - Note: If you see this error message > click OK > open/minimize Internet Explorer > click Next in Respondus
- Click Next
- Click Finish
- For Blackboard at NDSU: select the NDSU [PSS] connection to choose an existing server > click Next
For the NDUS Blackboard Learn system: select the NDUS [PSS] connection to choose an existing server > click Next
- Login to Blackboard again, if prompted > click Close After Login in the top-right corner of the Blackboard Home page
- Click Cancel > close Respondus OR click Next to publish the currently open exam to Blackboard
You will use this existing Blackboard connection each time you publish an exam to Blackboard or retrieve exam data from Blackboard.