Read & Write
NDSU students, faculty and staff can get a free copy of Read & Write, an innovative literacy software that supports reading fluency and comprehension, writing, studying and research.
The software is designed to help individuals of all ages, abilities and learning styles, with tools including:
- Phonetic spell checker
- Concept mapper
- Fact finder
- Word prediction
- Voice note
- Vocabulary list builder
More information about the software is available on the Read & Write website.
The customizable, easy-to-use toolbar seamlessly integrates with common applications including Microsoft Word, Google Docs, Adobe Reader, and Safari, Chrome and Internet Explorer Web browsers.
Get Read & Write for your personal computer
Read & Write is available free of charge for use on your personal Windows or Mac computer. You have the option to download the software from the software download page or get the software as a self-contained mobile application that runs on a USB flash drive.
Download Read & Write for Windows and Mac
Be sure to log in to the software downloads page using your NDSU electronic ID and password. You will NOT need to enter an activation code to complete the software installation process.
- Open a Web browser and go to the NDSU Software Downloads site
- Enter your NDSU email address and password
- Under "Microsoft Windows" or "Apple Mac," click Read & Write
- Follow the instructions to download and install the software on your personal computer
- When prompted to enter an activation code, do NOT enter anything and instead click Activate to complete the process
Get a copy of the Read & Write self-contained mobile application for Mac or Windows
- Bring your Bison Card and a new 8 gigabyte USB flash drive that is still in its unopened package to the Technology Learning & Media Center in Quentin Burdick Building 150C during regular operating hours
- An employee from the TLMC will exchange your drive for another drive with the free software already installed
- Sign the software agreement to indicate the software is for your personal use only and you will discontinue using the software when you are no longer an NDSU student or employee.
Read & Write is a software package owned by NDSU and supported by the Information Technology Division. The distribution and training for Read & Write is the collaborative effort between the IT Division and Student Affairs.
If you have questions or need assistance, contact NDSU Software Licensing at 231-8685 (option 4) or email@example.com.