- Creative Commons: http://www.creativecommons.org Creative Commons provides licensing options that are more flexible than traditional copyright. Owners of works can specify the conditions for using or re-purposing their works. Be sure to clarify and follow the terms specified by the owner of individual works. To find images, music, video and more go to creativecommons.org, look for “Explore” and “Find CC-licensed works”. For more info, watch… https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8YkbeycRa2A
- GarageBand: Apple GarageBand includes built in libraries of jingles, sound effects, music loops and more. These can be incorporated into your project without concern over copyright. They can also be combined to create your own original compositions. GarageBand is installed on all Macintosh computers on campus, and extended libraries have been installed on Macs in the TLMC and Media Studio. GarageBand media can also be accessed from within the Final Cut Pro and iMovie video editing applications. Note: While these resources are free to use as part of your project, they are not to be re-distributed or sold as stand-alone works.
- Adobe Premiere Elements: Under the audio tab in Premiere Elements you have access to a library of music clips that can be incorporated into your project without concern over copyright. Music clips are sorted by style or mood and additional clips may be available for download if they are not already installed. Premiere Elements software is available in the TLMC lab and training room. Note: While these resources are free to use as part of your project, they are not to be re-distributed or sold as stand-alone works.
- Free Stock Music: http://www.freestockmusic.com Free Stock Music has both free and paid for resources. Signing up for a free account will provide you with access to hundreds of music clips from ten different genres. You may sample, download and use these clips in your project with no cost or obligation. Note: While these resources are free to use as part of your project, they are not to be re-distributed or sold as stand-alone works.
- CC Mixter: http://ccmixter.org Music site designed for sharing and collaboration and licensed under Creative Commons. Be sure to note CC terms of sharing and re-use works according to the artists’ wishes. For more info, watch… https://vimeo.com/108180600
- Wikimedia Commons: http://commons.wikimedia.org/wiki/Main_Page Wikimedia Commons is a media file repository that contains more than 12 million media files (images, sound, video). The files are free for everyone to use, modify, and copy as long as they follow the terms specified on the individual file’s description page (usually requires attribution and making modifications/copies available to others under the same license). More information on re-use can be found at Commons:Reusing content outside Wikimedia and Commons:First steps/Reuse.
- Wikipedia Sound/list: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Wikipedia:Sound/list Full-length classical music selections in the public domain, these files are in .ogg format, but can easily be downloaded (right click on the file name and select “Save target as” or similar command) and converted to mp3 format, using Audacity (free audio software) or some other software program. If you need help, stop by the TLMC in the Quentin Burdick Building 150C.
- Freesound: http://www.freesound.org/ Freesound’s aim is “to create a huge collaborative database of audio snippets, samples, recordings, bleeps, …released under Creative Commons licenses that allow their reuse” (http://www.freesound.org/help/about/ ). After registering with the site, users can browse the sounds, upload and download sounds, and even interact with the artists. Recordings are posted under a Creative Commons license. Find information about the licenses, how to credit or attribute a sound to an artist, etc., on the FAQ page: http://www.freesound.org/help/faq/#freesound-0
- PacDV: http://www.pacdv.com/sounds/index.html These sound effects are free of charge in your multimedia productions, but do not re-sell them or post on a website for download.