previous story next story

Minard Hall Reopens

Minard hall reopens

The charm of original woodwork and metal ceiling tiles combine with modern updates to technology, design and accessibility in the recently completed $18 million renovation to Minard Hall. The project added nearly 34,000 square feet of space to one of the largest and busiest academic buildings on campus. Now surpassing 142,000 square feet, the facility holds 1,023 seats in 13 classrooms and expanded and improved laboratory facilities where undergraduate and graduate students conduct research with faculty.

The building houses the English, communication, emergency management, history, philosophy and religious studies, sociology and anthropology, and modern languages departments from the College of Arts, Humanities and Social Sciences. It also houses the mathematics and psychology departments from the College of Science and Mathematics as well as the deans' offices for both colleges.

Originally named Science Hall, it was built in three stages in 1901, 1918 and 1929.

The first section cost about $25,000 and was home to the biology, geology, horticulture and mathematics departments. The building was renamed Minard Hall in 1951 to honor Archibald Ellsworth Minard, who started as an English and philosophy instructor in 1904 and held several leadership positions during his long career. He was head of the English department, served as dean of the School of Arts and Sciences for 30 years and served as acting president from July to September 1929.

Student Focused. Land Grant. Research University.