Van Es 118
701 231 6726
- Ph.D. in Medical Microbiology and Parasitology from University of Georgia (2001)
I enjoy classroom teaching, but I also enjoy having students participate in research in my laboratory. A variety of techniques are utilized. This allows students to gain laboratory skills and help with understanding and performing microbiology research of various types. Positions are competitive and frequently I engage students from my class to participate.
I teach the following classes:
- Bacterial Genetics and Phage
- Microbiological Molecular Methods
- Advanced Bacterial Genetics and Phage
- Multidrug resistant Escherichia coli
- Cronobacter sakazakii virulence and invasion of the Blood-Brain Barrier
- Avian Escherichia coliand colibacillosis
- The chicken embryo lethality assay as a measure of bacterial virulence
- Science Fiction
- Gibbs, P.S., L. K. Nolan, J. J. Maurer, and R. E. Wooley. Prediction of chicken-embryo lethality with avian Escherichia coli traits complement resistance, Colicin V production, and presence of the increased serum survival gene cluster (iss). Avian Dis. 47:370-379. 2003.
- Gibbs, P.S., S. R. Petermann, and R. Wooley. Comparison of several challenge models for studies in avian colibacillosis. Avian Dis. 48: 751-758. 2004. Khaitsa, M.L, M. Bauer, G. Lardy, D. Doetkott, R. Kegode, P.S. Gibbs. Fecal shedding of Escherichia coli O157:H7 in North Dakota feedlot cattle in the fall and spring. J Food Prot. May; 69(5):1154-1158. 2006.
- Gibbs, P.S., R. Kasa, J. Newbrey, S. Petermann, R. Wooley, H. Vinson, and W. Reed. Identification of members of the Family Enterobacteriaceae from the gut flora of Xanthocephalus xanthocephalus (Yellow-headed blackbirds) in North Dakota. Avian Dis. 51:649-655, 2007.
- Townsend, M. K., N. J. Carr, J. G. Iyer, S. M. Horne, P. S. Gibbs and B. M. Prüß. Pleiotropic phenotypes of a Yersinia enterocolitica flhD mutant include reduced lethality in a chicken embryo model. BMC Microbiology Jan. 23; 8:12, 2008.
- Vinson, H. M., A. Gautam, S. Olet, P. Gibbs, and R. Barigye. Molecular analysis of porin gene transcription in heterogenotypic multidrug-resistant Escherichia coli isolates from scouring calves. J. Antimicrob Chemother. 65: 1926 – 1935, 2010.