Assistant Professor of Practice
Van Es 125
701 231 8345
Courses I Teach
- Microbiology 350 (Starting Fall 2019)
- Microbiology 350L (Fall)
- Microbiology 352 (Spring)
- Microbiology 352L (Starting Spring 2020)
- Microbiology 460L (Spring)
I have a great passion for teaching and helping my students succeed in whatever goals and paths they set for themselves. I believe in providing students the opportunity for learning and gaining insights in a caring environment that is grounded in well-designed educational outcomes that emphasize current knowledge, skill development, and professionalism. I hope my students leave my classroom with an understanding that they have the capacity to share their knowledge with others and impact the world around them.
Educational Research Interests
- Authentic, inquiry science experiences in the classroom and their impact on trust of scientific information and decision making.
- The development of service learning assignments in large enrollment science classes.
- The impact of service-learning assignments on motivation, student success, and retention.
- Development of mastery learning techniques in a fixed college semester.
- Action research impacting my own classes, colleagues’ classes, and the department.
- Utilization of systems approach to designing curriculum and assessment at the class and department level.
- Ph.D. in Microbiology and Immunology, University of North Dakota (2013)Area of Study: Type III Secretion System of Yersinia pestis, regulation and small molecule inhibitors, immune cell response to Type III Secretion System needle proteins.
- Part-time online instructor, Extended Learning University of North Dakota (2017–18)
- Assistant Professor, Associate Graduate Faculty, Biomedical Sciences, University of North Dakota (2013–17)
Science Research Experience
- Design, implementation, and evaluation of molecular studies in the pathogenesis of Yersinia pestis and other Gram-negative bacteria.
- Experienced in common molecular skills of bacteriology.
- Proficient in cell culture techniques.
Outside of work I like to spend as much time as I can outside playing, doing yoga, reading, gardening, and hiking. I also love to cook/eat, travel, and plan vacations around eating. All these activities I love to do with my friends and family.