As we prepare for the upcoming academic year, we wanted to let you know about some changes for the Memorial Union.
1. Per campus policy, face coverings are required in the Memorial Union. This includes conference rooms, lounges, retail dining seating areas (when not eating/drinking), and all common areas.
2. Due to COVID seating restrictions in many academic spaces, Memorial Union has been asked to provide classroom space for Fall 2020. This is going to significantly reduce space available for meetings and events that traditionally take place in the Memorial Union.
In order to assess the impact and adjust existing reservations, the Memorial Union is temporarily suspending the processing of additional reservations. We have taken down the virtual EMS request form and we are asking that all requests be made through the alternate room reservation request form linked below. Once we know more about room availability, all requests will be processed in the order they were received. https://ndstate.co1.qualtrics.com/jfe/form/SV_cO1PpBeRmmeT749
Please use email@example.com for all communication related to events.
It is likely that Memorial Union will be unable to host many events that take place during the standard 8a-4p, M-F class day. Memorial Union staff will begin contacting customers to inform them of any schedule conflicts and assist customers in identifying other potential locations for their events.
3. In effort to streamline scheduling on campus, the Memorial Union is beginning to take over scheduling for spaces outside our walls. We are working with the NDSU Foundation to assume responsibility for scheduling events in the Alumni Center and we are looking for other meetings spaces across campus that can be added to our inventory.
4. For events that are able to take place in the Memorial Union, Conference & Event services will work with event planners to encourage compliance with ND Smart Restart guidelines for Event Venues: https://ndresponse.gov/covid-19-resources/covid-19-business-and-employer-resources/nd-smart-restart/nd-smart-restart-protocols/event-venues
Event set-ups will be modified to meet recommended capacity guidelines (see MU capacity info sheet linked below). Currently, the capacity of all rooms is reduced to 75% of the normal seated capacity (green category). In the event that state guidelines change, this capacity may be reduced to 50% (yellow category).
Event planners are responsible for checking their reservation against the current room capacities and requesting a larger space if needed. Memorial Union will do our best to accommodate all reservations but it is unlikely we will have large enough spaces for all needs / groups.
Activities that include hard or forced inhalation/exhalation (e.g. singing, dancing, cheering, etc.) are prohibited in our indoor spaces.
Event planners are responsible for ensuring their event follows MU event policies, room capacity guidelines, and face covering expectations.
Memorial Union Event Services staff may need to move reservations to other buildings or cancel reservations that we are unable to accommodate due to distancing guidelines and room availability. We apologize in advance for any inconvenience.
5. Contact tables have been removed and will not be available for reservation for this semester. We will continue to evaluate this policy as we move forward.
6. Seating areas: Memorial union has removed 25% of the seating in our lounges and retail dining seating areas to follow the guidelines.
As always, the Memorial Union will do our best to provide services to the campus community. We ask for your help in Protecting the Herd: Wash your hands, keep your distance, wear a face covering, and please stay home if you are sick!
Let us know if you have any questions about this information or any of the services we provide.