The Volunteer Network
The NDSU Volunteer Network (VN) helps students find service opportunities in the Fargo-Moorhead and surrounding communities. Our student staff works closely with nonprofit agencies to identify individual and group service opportunities that not only meet the needs of the community, but match student interests and skills. The VN also coordinates special programs and events throughout the school year to address community needs, engage NDSU students in service, and educate about social justice issues. The VN recognizes and understands the civic and social challenges of our local and global communities. Our philosophy is grounded in the following values:
1. Dedication to creating opportunities for students to experience social change and servant leadership in action.
2. Understanding of social justice issues and the need for both individual and systemic change to make a positive impact.
3. Supporting student-led initiatives to address community needs.
4. Believing service experiences can and should complement academic coursework.
5. Promoting orientation, training, and reflection in every service experience in order to understand root cause issues.
6. Commitment to the land-grant mission of NDSU and to a lifelong ethic of service.
What we do:
1. Help individual students and student groups find service opportunities
2. Connect local non-profits with student volunteers
3. Plan events and programs related to service
4. Encourage students to log service hours for the Bison Service Challenge
Who We Work With:
At the Volunteer Network, the most valuable and effective service experiences are those that see service as an equal partnership between faculty, students, and community partners. Below is information in how the Volunteer Network can work with you to address specific needs.
For Faculty: The Volunteer Network is available to help your students find service opportunities in the community. If you are teaching a service-learning course and you would like recommendations of certain agencies that address a specific issue or need, the Volunteer Network would be happy to assist.
For Students: Trying to find a service opportunity for your class, your student organization, or just because you’re interested in volunteering? The Volunteer Network is here to help! Please fill out our Volunteer Intake Form and a VN staff member will follow-up with you as soon as possible. Additionally, you can stop by the VN, located in the Student Activities Office in the Memorial Union, and fill out a hardcopy intake form.
For Community Partners: The Volunteer Network is committed to finding student volunteers to address specific community needs identified by community partners. Each week the Volunteer Network sends out emails to students letting them know about specific service opportunities available in the community. Whether it is a one-time project or a long-term service opportunity, the Volunteer Network staff can work to find students to meet your needs. Once we receive a notification from a community partner about a specific volunteer need, we will reach out to the NDSU community and let them know of the opportunity. If you have a service opportunity and would like us to know, please fill out the Volunteer Request Form.
Additionally, Volunteer Network staff is available to come present to classes, student organizations, sororities or fraternities, residence halls, or community agencies about what we do, current community needs, the value of service, and/or how to work effectively with nonprofits.
Submit Your Service Hours:
Looking for Service Opportunities?
NDSU Volunteer Network
Like us on Facebook for more information (NDSU Volunteer Network)
PO Box 6050
Fargo, ND 58108-6050