NDSU's Fall 2021 move-in day is scheduled for Aug. 21 from 8 a.m. to 1 p.m.
Summer is almost over and you’re ready to begin your NDSU experience.
Here are a few tips for what to bring and what to leave at home that will make your residence hall room a more comfortable living space:
- Cube-style shelving units and footrests with storage are great ideas for your new room – both stylish and functional.
- Choose items that are dual purpose.
- Area rugs are a fun addition that make the space unique and cozy, without taking up space.
- Less is more. You don’t need a ton of stuff to make your new space feel like home. A few personalized decorations and rearranging go a long way.
- Be sure to reference the Residence Life Packing Guidelines while packing for your move-in day.
AVAILABLE TO YOU
- Light bulbs
- Kitchenette: Each hall has a kitchenette located in a common area; these include ovens and sinks. The Mathew Living Learning Centers and Niskanen Hall have kitchens in all units.
- Each residence hall has a trash room where students can find cleaning supplies, garbage bags, recycling bins and places to put their full garbage bags.
- Toilet paper in restrooms (except the MLLC)
- Coinless washers and dryers (money not needed)
WHAT TO BRING
- Covid-19 precaution Items: Face coverings, thermometer, disinfectant wipes and hand sanitizer for personal use. Face coverings are optional on campus, but may be required by faculty during class or when visiting Student Health Services.
- Clothing hangers
- Fan (Pavek, Niskanen, Burgum, Cater, Churchill and the Mathew Living/Learning Centers have air conditioning. Students in the rest of the halls will want to bring a fan.)
- Linens and pillow
- Surge protector
- 3M / Velcro Command Strips or white poster putty
- Laundry detergent
Other recommendations to bring
- Small bookcase / small entertainment center
- Refrigerator (5 cubic ft. or less) and microwave (1,000 watts or less). Students can rent them from CSI and they will be placed in your room prior to move in
- Chair (single seater)/ footrest
- Area rug
- TV set and cable cord
- Coffee maker with automatic shut off
ITEMS TO LEAVE AT HOME
- Candles, incense and candle warmers
- Couches, loveseats and futons (or other furniture that seats more than one person)
- Space heaters
- Halogen lamps (floor or desk)
- Purchased or home-built lofts
- Bed risers
- Exercise equipment
- Hot plates, toasters, bread makers or any appliances with open heating elements
- Wireless Routers
- Outlet splitters
- Portable air conditioner
Be sure to take a look at the bed and linen information for your specific residence hall. Each hall has a different mattress size and bed lofting system. To find out your bed type, or to order custom linens, visit the Residence information page.
Fall 2021 move-in day is Aug. 21 from 8 a.m. to 1 p.m. We recognize some families may prefer a quieter and less crowded move-in experience. If you would like to schedule a move-in time for Friday, Aug. 20, visit the move-in information page.