Content | Navigation |

One Stop


Student Employment

There are a lot of great job opportunities at NDSU and in the surrounding community for both non-Work-Study and Work-Study students.  NDSU works with departments, local businesses, and local non-profit organizations to list employment opportunities for students on the NDSU Part-Time Student Job Board.  The NDSU Career Center also has listing for co-op, internships, and full-time employment opportunities.

Federal Work-Study

What is Federal Work Study?

The Federal Work-Study Program (FWS) is a federal student aid program that provides funding to support part-time employment opportunities for eligible students.  FWS funding helps pay a percentage of the hourly wages earned.  The money students earn helps pay for educational expenses; and, jobs are designed to relate to the student’s course of study and/or encourage community service work whenever possible. 

Why should I participate in the Federal Work Study program?

Federal Work Study (FWS) positions provide students valuable on-the-job experience and helps create professional working relationships while earning money and going to college. Many students find positions related to their field of study.  FWS employers work around students’ busy schedules (classes, exams, projects) to provide job opportunities, which ultimately helps them succeed.

Do I have to pay it back?

No. Income earned through Federal Work Study employment is money you can use to help pay for personal expenses. Even though it is considered a financial aid award, it is not applied to your student account and it does not need to be paid back.

How do I apply for Federal Work Study?

Students apply by completing the Free Application for Federal Student Aid (FAFSA) and indicating they are interested in receiving a Federal Work Study award.

Who is eligible for Federal Work Study?

In order to considered for Federal Work Study (FWS), students should submit the Free Application for Federal Student Aid (FAFSA) by the priority deadline (March1st). FWS is a “need-based program” which means you must have demonstrated financial need. This is determined by the information provided on the FAFSA. All students who are eligible may not be awarded FWS funding due to overall budget limitations.

To be eligible to receive a work-study award, students must:

  • Be enrolled (minimum of 6 credits)
  • Be an undergraduate students
  • Graduate and professional students on a case by case basis, but funding is limited
  • Have demonstrated financial need as determined by the FAFSA
  • Maintain Satisfactory Academic progress. 

I didn't receive a Federal Work Study Award. Is it too late to apply for one?

Students may be added to the Federal Work Study (FWS) waiting list by contacting NDSU One Stop at (701) 231-6200 or (866) 924-8969. The waiting list is reviewed monthly after the beginning of fall term and awards may be added for eligible students if funds are available.  You will be notified by the FWS Coordinator if you have received an award.

Will my Federal Work Study award apply directly to my student account?

No. Federal Work Study (FWS) funding is earned by working an approved FWS position. Students can earn up to the total of their FWS award amount.  Students receive compensation for hours worked. Wages are paid directly to the student via the account designated through the Direct Deposit process.  Students may select to have earnings sent to their checking, savings, or other account as desired.

How do I apply for a Federal Work Study job?

Federal Work Study (FWS) positions are found on the NDSU Part-Time Job Board. FWS postings will have a work type of “Work-Study (Fall/Spring)” or “Work-Study and/or Non-Work-Study”. Once you find a FWS position you are interested in, you may apply using the directions listed in the posting. When meeting with a potential FWS employer, you must bring a copy of your financial aid award letter which is found on Campus Connection.

Are Federal Work Study jobs on campus or off campus?

Both.  While many positions are located on NDSU’s campus, there are various positions that are located off-campus as well. Off-campus employers must be private nonprofit organizations or an agency participating as a part of the America Reads program.

Does having a Federal Work Study award guarantee I will have a job?

Accepting the Federal Work Study funds you are offered is just the first step. In order to receive those funds, you need to earn them, which means you need to start by finding a work-study job. While some schools may match students to jobs, at NDSU you can review available positions and interview for the ones best suited to your interests and academic schedule.  Work-Study is just like any other job. It is important that you if you have been awarded work-study and you are having a difficult time locating a job, that you contact the financial aid office for assistance.

Are there positions where I can study and do my homework?

No. While the name “Work-Study” does imply working and studying, you are being paid to work. A few positions may have you watching the front desk or answering phones when needed, and you may have time to study and do homework. However, it has been strongly recommended and encouraged that all employers provide their Federal Work Study students more responsibility and work to do while they are on-the-job.

Can I work two Federal Work Study positions at the same time?

No. Students may only work one Federal Work Study (FWS) position at a time.  You may certainly work another position elsewhere, but it should not be under FWS funding.

Can I still use my Federal Work Study award if there is a hold on my student account?

No. All holds must be lifted before you can begin using your Federal Work Study award.

What type of documentation do I need to complete to be hired?

Because student employees are considered University employees, you'll need to complete documents required by the NDSU Payroll office.  For instance, NDSU requires all students complete an I-9 and verify that you're eligible to work in the United States by providing proof of identification and previous employment. You can find more information about the required documentation and hiring process here.

What is the wage rate, and how many hours can I work?

Hourly wage and number of hours worked vary depending on the employer and the position. Wage rates must be equal to or exceed minimum wage. Students may work up to 20 hours per week while in a Federal Work Study position.

How often am I paid for the work that I do?

Students are paid twice monthly. Payroll periods are 1st through the 15th and the 16th  through the end of each month.  You submit hours worked to your supervisor for each pay period.

Can I earn more than my Federal Work Study award?

No. Students cannot continue using Federal Work Study (FWS) funding once they have reached their total award amount. Employers may request an increase in their FWS student’s award, but there is no guarantee that the award will be increased. Increases are based on available funds and student eligibility. You may continue working for the same employer; however, the employer becomes responsible for 100% of the hourly earnings once the Work-Study award amount has been paid out.

If I do not use all of the Federal Work Study award, can the remaining balance be transferred into the summer term or next academic year?

No. Remaining balances on awards will be lost once the current academic school year is over.  Federal Work Study funding is not available during the summer term.

Other Part-Time Employment

What if I'm not eligible for Federal Work Study, can I still work on campus?

If you are not eligible for Federal Work-Study there are still a lot of great job opportunities at NDSU and in the surrounding community.  NDSU works with departments and local businesses to list employment opportunities for students on the NDSU Part-Time Student Job Board.  The NDSU Career Center also has listing for co-op, internships and full-time employment opportunities.  For more information about job seeking and to access the NDSU Part-Time Jobs Board click the link below.

NDSU Part-Time Jobs Board

Student Focused. Land Grant. Research University.

Follow NDSU
  • Facebook
  • Twitter
  • RSS
  • Google Maps

North Dakota State University
Phone: +1 (701) 231-6200 / Fax: (701) 231-8297
Campus address: Memorial Union 176
Physical/delivery address: 1401 Administration Ave., Fargo, ND 58102
Mailing address: NDSU Dept. 2836 / PO Box 6050 / Fargo, ND 58108-6050
Page manager:One Stop

Last Updated: Tuesday, February 06, 2018 12:44:11 PM
Privacy Statement