Content | Navigation |

One Stop


Standards of Satisfactory Academic Progress Frequently Asked Questions

Below you will find answer to many of the frequently asked questions with regard to Standards of Satisfactory Academic Progress (SAP).

Is there a deadline to submit a Standards of Satisfactory Academic Progress Appeal Form?

The deadline to appeal Financial Aid Disqualification and receive financial aid can be found on the appeal form. To meet the deadline your appeal must be received by Financial Aid and Scholarships or One Stop on or before the appeal deadline.

How do I calculate my semester or cumulative GPA?

To calculate your GPA please use a GPA Calculator

I am thinking of dropping one or more credits. How will it affect my financial aid?

Before you drop, here are some important things to consider:

I am on financial aid disqualification and I cannot receive federal aid. What are my options for paying tuition?

 If you don't have resources available to self-pay, you may wish to consider one of the following:

I am on financial aid disqualification now but I am completing my credits and I think I can be removed for the next semester. What do I need to do to get reinstated?

Reinstatement of Aid Eligibility:

Important — A period of non-enrollment will not result in regaining your financial aid eligibility.

How do I know whether or not I should appeal my disqualification?

Appeals are encouraged if you had an extenuating medical or emotional problem that negatively impacted your academic performance. Appeals are reviewed on a case-by-case basis, but our general guidelines for acceptable appeals include: hospitalization, surgery, medical illness, depression, anxiety, ADD, death in the family, etc. Appeals that are not considered extenuating include: working too many hours, dropped courses due to changing major, did not like the class or instructor, was unaware of drop date or policy requirements.

Nobody told me that I had to complete a certain number of credits or earn a certain GPA. How was I supposed to know this?

Due to the number of students at NDSU, we are not able to notify each individual of the Satisfactory Academic Progress requirements. We do publish our policy annually and whenever there is an update. The complete policy is posted on our website. In addition, we discuss the requirements in detail at Orientation during the Guide to Student Finances at NDSU session. It is also covered in our financial aid information booklet, which is available on our website. Ultimately, final responsibility for knowledge of and adherence to the SAP guidelines rests with the student.

If I am on financial aid disqualification does that mean I cannot attend school at all?

No. If you are in good academic standing you can still attend NDSU, you just cannot receive federal aid while you are on disqualification. If you are in need of funding to cover your educational costs you may wish to consider a private student loan. Information on private student loan options can be found by clicking

What if I have a grade change?

If you have a grade that is changed or posted after you have been placed on financial aid warning or disqualification you should notify Financial Aid and Scholarships once the grade has been posted to your transcript.

Student Focused. Land Grant. Research University.

Follow NDSU
  • Facebook
  • Twitter
  • RSS
  • Google Maps

North Dakota State University
Phone: +1 (701) 231-6200 / Fax: (701) 231-8297
Campus address: Memorial Union 176
Physical/delivery address: 1401 Administration Ave., Fargo, ND 58102
Mailing address: NDSU Dept. 2836 / PO Box 6050 / Fargo, ND 58108-6050
Page manager:One Stop

Last Updated: Monday, February 24, 2020 11:29:59 AM
Privacy Statement