Edwin Fissinger Choral Composition Prizes
NDSU Challey School of Music honors the legacy and traditions of noted choral composer and long-time NDSU choral conductor Edwin Fissinger with its annual choral composition competition.
The Edwin Fissinger Choral Composition Prizes will be awarded to the first and second place winners.
- Score submission: June 1, 2016
- Announcement of winners: August 1, 2016
- Premiere of winning composition: October 2, 2016
- Application fee: $25 per composition
- Pay online at NDSU Marketplace
- Or mail check to Dr. Jo Ann Miller, NDSU Challey School of Music, Dept 2334, PO Box 6050, Fargo, ND 58108-6050
- Must be postmarked by June 1, 2016
Entries should be:
- for mixed choir (SATB), divisi is acceptable
- unaccompanied, or with piano accompaniment
- three to five minutes in length
- original, not previously performed publicly, and unpublished. The text may be sacred or secular, either in the public domain or copyrighted, as long as a letter of permission from the copyright owner is included with the submission
- suitable for an accomplished high school or university choir
- arrangements of pre-existing melodies will not be accepted
- Open to all composers with the exception of current NDSU faculty, staff, and students.
- Prior winners may re-enter only after five years.
- First: $1000
- Second: $500
- NDSU reserves the right to not award prizes in a given year.
- The composer of the first prize work must be present at the premiere performance on October 2, 2016.
NDSU will reimburse actual travel, lodging and food expenses up to $750.
- Winners will be announced at www.ndsu.edu/music/fissinger/index on August 1, 2016.
- The first prize winner may be offered a contract from Pavane Publishing to place their composition in the Jo Ann Miller Choral Series. The second prize piece will be considered for publication.
- Jo Ann Miller, Choral Activities, NDSU
- Michael Weber, Choral Activities, NDSU
- Charlette Moe, Choral Activities, NDSU
- Dale Warland, Dale Warland Singers
- Allan Petker, Pavane Publishing
- Include name, address, phone number(s), and email address when making payment via NDSU Marketplace.
- Scores may be submitted by:
- Sibelius or
- PDF (mp3 may be included, but is not required)
- Submissions must be submitted via email by 11:59 PM on June 1, 2016.
- Email compositions to:
- Jo Ann Miller, Director of Choral Activities, Jo.Miller@ndsu.edu