Prospective Music Major Students
The Challey School of Music provides a comprehensive, rigorous, and innovative academic program consistent with the mission of NDSU. The school serves the pursuit of high-quality teaching, artistic performance, dedicated service, and professional and scholarly excellence through experiences of lasting value.
The Challey School of Music is fully accredited by the National Association of Schools of Music (NASM).
Opportunities to Learn More about Music at NDSU
- Music Day invites you to audit classes, sit in on rehearsals, and meet current students and faculty, held in November
- All-State Audition Clinic for Band, Jazz Band and Orchestra, held in December
- Please refer to specific guidelines listed by each instrument:
- The audition panel may only hear 2-5 minutes of selected repertoire, but please prepare individual selections in their entirety ((i.e.) complete study/movement) unless specifically requested by the instructor of your discipline.
- Piano accompaniment is optional.
- Please provide your own sheet music.
- The first movement from a piano sonata by Beethoven, Mozart, Haydn, or Schubert
- A significant Romantic work by Chopin, Schumann, or Brahms
- An Etude by Chopin or Liszt
- Two pieces, both memorized, are required for the voice audition. Both can be in English and one may be in a foreign language if you choose. If auditioning with classical repertoire, try to select materials that show both MUSICALITY (usually SLOW) and TECHNIQUE (usually FAST). If your selection does not show both, choose a second piece or excerpt to perform within the ten-minute time limit.
- NDSU Concert Choir, Madrigal Singers and the University Chamber Singers are auditioned choirs. Auditions are typically held at the end of each semester and/or during the summer. To schedule an audition for the choirs above, please email Dr. Jo Ann Miller at firstname.lastname@example.org.
- Statesmen (a men’s choir) and cantemus (a women’s choir) are non-auditioned. You may register online.
- Auditions for Concert Choir, Madrigal Singers and University Chamber Singers require one prepared solo. An accompanist will be provided. If you don’t have a prepared solo, you will be asked to sing America the Beautiful. Please prepare your part for Never Weather-beaten Sail by Thomas Campion, ed. Steve Jones. There will also be some vocalizing; ear-training and sight singing exercises.
- Please see information on ensembles.
The following audition program is recommended for pianists seeking admission to the NDSU undergraduate piano programs.
Substitutions are permitted but it is recommended that you contact the piano faculty to verify your audition repertoire: Dr. Robert Groves at email@example.com or Dr. Tyler Wottrich at firstname.lastname@example.org.
Students of any other major:
Step 4: Apply for Challey School of Music scholarships.
Please contact Dr. Michael Weber at 701-231-8497 for additional information.
You May Also Be Interested in the Following: