Amrita Banerjee, Ph.D.
Ph.D: Biopharmaceutical Sciences 2007 - 2012
University of Illinois at Chicago, Chicago, IL
Master of Pharmacy: Pharmaceutics 2005 -2007
Birla Institute of Technology, Mesra, India
Bachelor of Pharmacy 2001 - 2005
Birla Institute of Technology, Mesra, India
PSCI 369 Pharmaceutics II
- Lipid based drug delivery systems
- Oral delivery of biologics
- Nanoparticle based formulation development
- Ionic liquid based formulations
- Pharmaceutics and pharmacokinetics
Academic and Professional Appointments
Assistant Professor, Department of Pharmaceutical Sciences, North Dakota State University (Oct 2017 -present)
Postdoctoral Scholar, Department of Chemical Engineering, University of California Santa Barbara (UCSB) (May 2013-Sept 2017)
Assistant Editor, International Journal of Current Pharmaceutical Research (Jan 2016–2017)
Editorial Board Member, Journal of PharmaSciTech (Feb 2016-present)
Editorial Board Member, Asian Journal of Pharmaceutical Education and Research (Feb 2016-present)
Research Volunteer, Department of Chemistry & Biochemistry, University of the Sciences, Philadelphia (January 2013-April 2013)
Research Assistant, Department of Biopharmaceutical Sciences, University of Illinois at Chicago (UIC) (June 2010-August 2012)
Lecturer in Pharmacokinetics, College of Pharmacy, University of Illinois at Chicago (2010- 2012)
Teaching Assistant in Pharmacokinetics, College of Pharmacy, University of Illinois at Chicago (August 2007-May 2010)
Science Teacher, Early Outreach Program, University of Illinois at Chicago (September 2008-May 2010)
Formulation Scientist, Dr. Reddy’s Laboratories Ltd, Hyderabad, India (June 2007-August 2007)
Summer Intern, Pfizer Ltd, Mumbai, India (May 2003-June 2003)
Professional Societies, Service Responsibilities, and Editorial Activities
2012 Van Doren Scholarship for Academic Excellence, UIC
2005-2007 University Grants Commission (UGC) Junior Research Fellowship, India
2005 Gold Medal for academic excellence during Bachelor of pharmacy studies
2005 Graduate Aptitude Test in Engineering (GATE), India
2000 Qualified to appear in Indian National Biology Olympiad (INBO 2000) through a nation wide screening test. Adjudged to be the top 1% among 20,923 students
1999 J.H.Tarapore Medal for excellence in academics
Banerjee A, Kelly I, Brown T, Chen R, Agatemor C, Mitragotri S. Ionic Liquids for Oral Insulin Delivery. Proceedings of the National Academy of Sciences; DOI: 10.1073/pnas.1722338115, 2018.
Ibsen K, Ma H, Banerjee A, Tanner E, Nangia S, Mitragotri S. The Mechanism of Antimicrobial Activity of Choline-Based Ionic Liquids (CAGE). ACS Biomaterials Science and Engineering, 4(7): 2370-2379, 2018.
Li D, Jie Z, Yang J, He H, Yang Y, Wang D, Fan W, Banerjee A, Lu Y, Wu W, Gan L, Qi J. Loss of Integrity of Doxorubicin Liposomes during Transcellular Transportation Evidenced by Fluorescence Resonance Energy Transfer Effect. Colloids and Surfaces B; DOI: 10.1016/j.colsurfb.2018.07.022, 2018.
Banerjee A, Mitragotri S. Intestinal Patch Systems for Oral Drug Delivery. Current Opinion in Pharmacology, 36: 58-65, 2017.
Banerjee A, Wong J, Gogoi R, Mitragotri S. Intestinal Micropatches for Oral Insulin Delivery. Journal of Drug Targeting, 25(7): 608-615, 2017.
Banerjee A, Ibsen K, Iwao Y, Zakrewsky M, Mitragotri S. Transdermal Protein Delivery Using Choline and Geranate (CAGE) Deep Eutectic Solvent. Advanced Healthcare Materials, 1601411: 1-11, 2017.
Li D, Zhuang J, He H, Huo Y, Banerjee A, Lu Y, Wu W, Mitragotri S, Gan L, Qi J. The Contribution of Nanoparticle Geometry in Transport and Absorption Upon Oral Administration In Vivo. ACS Applied Materials & Interfaces, 9(49): 42492-42502, 2017.
Banerjee A, Lee JH, Mitragotri S. Intestinal Mucoadhesive Devices for Oral Delivery of Insulin. Bioengineering and Translational Medicine, 1: 338-346, 2016.
Banerjee A, Qi J, Gogoi R, Wong J, Mitragotri S. Role of Nanoparticle Size, Shape and Surface Chemistry in Oral Drug Delivery. Journal of Controlled Release, 238: 176-185, 2016.
Zakrewsky M, Banerjee A, Apte S, Kern TL, Jones MR, Del Sesto RE, Koppisch AT, Fox DT, Mitragotri S. Choline and Geranate Deep Eutectic Solvent as a Broad-Spectrum Antiseptic Agent for Preventive and Therapeutic Applications. Advanced Healthcare Materials, 5(11): 1282-1289, 2016.
Gupta V, Huang BH, Doshi N, Banerjee A, Anselmo AC, Mitragotri S. Oral Delivery of Exenatide and Insulin Using Mucoadhesive Intestinal Devices. Annals of Biomedical Engineering, 44(6): 1993-2007, 2016.
Kumar S, Anselmo AC, Banerjee A, Zakrewsky M, Mitragotri S. Shape and size-dependent immune response to antigen-carrying nanoparticles. Journal of Controlled Release, 220(A): 141-48, 2015.
Banerjee A, Onyuksel H. A Novel Peptide Nanomedicine for Treatment of Pancreatogenic Diabetes. Nanomedicine: Nanotechnology, Biology and Medicine, 9(6):722-28, 2013. (Featured Article and Cover).
Vukovic L, Madriaga A, Kuzmis A, Banerjee A, Tang A,Tao K, Shah N, Kral P, Onyuksel H. Solubilization of Therapeutic Agents in Micellar Nanomedicines. Langmuir, 29(51):15747-54, 2013.
Banerjee A, Onyuksel H. Human Pancreatic Polypeptide in a Phospholipid Based Micellar Formulation. Pharmaceutical Research, 29(6):1698-1711, 2012.
Banerjee A, Onyuksel H. Peptide Delivery Using Phospholipid Micelles. Wiley Interdisciplinary Reviews: Nanomedicine and Nanobiotechnolgy, 4(5):562-74, 2012.
Lim SB, Banerjee A, Onyuksel H. Improvement of Drug Safety by the Use of Lipid-Based Nanocarriers. Journal of Controlled Release, 163(1):34-45, 2012.
Onyuksel H, Banerjee A. Phospholipid-based Nanomicelles in Cancer Nanomedicine. In: Nanomedicine in Health and Disease. Eds. Ross J. Hunter & Victor R. Preedy, 1st Edition, Science Publishers, London, U.K., pp 314-335, 2011.
- April 10, 2018 - Harvard University, John A. Paulson School of Engineering and Applied Sciences, Boston, MA
- December 21, 2016 - United States Department of Agriculture – Agricultural Research Services, Fargo, ND
- November 7, 2016 - Chemical Sciences Student Seminar, University of California Santa Barbara, CA
- May 22, 2015 - STEMposium, University of California Santa Barbara, CA
Sharma D, Banerjee A, Singh J. Dual Functionalized Chitosan Nanomicelles Mediated Gene Delivery for Targeting Pro-Inflammatory Macrophages for the Treatment of Insulin Resistance. American Association of Pharmaceutical Scientists (AAPS) Annual Meeting and Exposition, Washington, D.C., November 4-7, 2018.
Ibsen K, Banerjee A, Iwao Y, Zakrewsky M, Mitragotri S. Transdermal Protein Delivery Via a Choline Based Deep Eutectic Solvent. American Institute of Chemical Engineers (AIChE) Annual Meeting, Minneapolis, MN, October 2017.
Ibsen K, Banerjee A, Iwao Y, Zakrewsky M, Mitragotri S. Transdermal Insulin Delivery Via a Choline Based Deep Eutectic Solvent. Controlled Release Society (CRS) 44th Annual Meeting and Exposition, Boston, MA, July 2017. Recipient of Graduate Research Advances in Delivery Science (GRADS) Award
Banerjee A, Qi J, Gogoi R, Wong J, Mitragotri S. Effect of Nanoparticle Size, Shape and Surface Chemistry on Oral Drug Delivery. Controlled Release Society 43rd Annual Meeting and Exposition, Seattle, WA, July, 2016.
Banerjee A, Mitragotri S. Oral Insulin Delivery Using Novel Mucoadhesive Intestinal Patches. AAPS Annual Meeting and Exposition, Orlando, FL, October, 2015. Selected for Special Press Release and Outreach during the conference.
Wong J, Banerjee A, Mitragotri S. Optimizing Mucoadhesive Intestinal Patches for Individual Release for Oral Drug Delivery of Proteins, Annual Biomedical Research Conference for Minority Students (ABRCMS), Seattle, WA, November 2015.
Kumar S, Anselmo AC, Banerjee A, Mitragotri S. Shape-Dependent Modulation of Immune Response to Pathogens. AIChE Annual Meeting, Atlanta, GA, November, 2014.
Lee JH, Banerjee A, Mitragotri S. Individual Release of Peptide Loaded Mucoadhesive Patches. UCLeads Symposium, University of California Santa Barbara, August 2013.
Banerjee A, Onyuksel H. Pancreatic Polypeptide in Phospholipid Micelles Exhibits Enhanced Stability against Proteolytic Degradation and Retains its Bioactivity In Vitro. 39th Annual CRS Meeting abstracts; pp 43, 2012.
Banerjee A, Onyuksel H. Peptide Loading and Freeze Drying in Phospholipid Micelles is Markedly Influenced by Presence of Sodium Chloride in Aqueous Media. The AAPS Journal; 13 (S2), 2011.
Banerjee A, Onyuksel H. Development of a Novel I.V. Formulation of Pancreatic Polypeptide. The AAPS Journal; 12(S1), 2010.
Banerjee A, Onyuksel H. Circular Dichroism and Lyophilization Studies of a Novel Formulation of Pancreatic Polypeptide. The AAPS Journal; 12 (S2), 2010.
Onyuksel H, Banerjee A. Pancreatic Polypeptide Nanomedicine: A Novel Therapeutic Intervention for Pancreatogenic Diabetes. Nanomedicine and Drug Delivery Symposium, Atlantic City, NJ, 2012.
Tang, A, Banerjee A, Vuković L, Král P and Onyuksel H. Quantitative Determination and Structural Characterization of Human Vasoactive Intestinal Peptide Loading onto Sterically Stabilized Micelles. Graduate Student Research Forum, University of Illinois at Chicago (UIC), IL, 2012.
Banerjee A, Sethi V, Pai AS, Lim SB, Rubinstein I and Onyuksel H. Phospholipid Nanomicelles as Therapeutic Agents for Diseases Related to Protein/Peptide Misfolding and Aggregation and as Carriers for Peptide Drugs. 8th Annual Chicago Biomedical Consortium Symposium, UIC, IL, 2010.
Banerjee A, Kuzmis A, Onyuksel H. Lyophilization studies of a Novel intravenous formulation of Pancreatic Polypeptide. Graduate Student Research Forum, UIC, IL, 2010.
Selected Press Releases
A. Intestinal Mucoadhesive Patch Based Oral Insulin Pill
- ‘An Easy Pill to Swallow’ – CTV News, Nov 20, 2015 and The UCSB Current, Nov 18, 2015 [Link 1, Link 2]
- ‘Researchers are Working on a New Insulin Pill to Replace Injections’ – Yahoo! News, November 19, 2015 [Link]
- AAPS TV interview, October 29, 2015 [Link]
- ‘Intestine Specific Delivery of Insulin Demonstrates Promise with New Oral Formulation - Science Daily, October 27, 2015 [Link]
- ‘Amrita Banerjee Discusses Oral Insulin Delivery’ – European Pharmaceutical Manufacturing Magazine, May 11, 2016 [Link]
- ‘Soon, A Pill to Manage Diabetes’ in Yahoo! News UK, November 19, 2015 [Link]
- ‘Insulin pill shows early promise as a novel form of diabetes therapy’ – International Business Times, November 19, 2015 [Link]
- ‘Novel insulin pill to effectively manage diabetes’ – The Economic Times, November 19, 2015 [Link]
- ‘Doctors Develop First Insulin Pill’ - ARMENPRESS Armenian News Agency, November 19, 2015 [Link]
- ‘Insulin patch-containing capsule could lead to oral diabetes treatments’ – Diabetes.co.uk, October 28, 2015 [Link]
B. Ionic Liquid Based Oral Insulin Pill
- ‘Delivering insulin in a pill’ – Harvard John A. Paulson School of Engineering and Applied Sciences, June 25, 2018 [Link]
- ‘Study shows promise in administering insulin in pill form’ – Newswise, June 28, 2018 [Link]
- ‘Holy grail of insulin pill could end need for diabetics’ daily injections’ – Independent, June 26, 2018 [Link]
- ‘Insulin pill instead of shot: How close are we for diabetes patients?’ – CNN, June 25, 2018 [Link]
- ‘Insulin pill may be on the horizon for diabetics’ – The Guardian, June 25, 2018 [Link]
- 'Lab rat studies show promise for insulin pill that may replace daily injections – The Japan Times, June 26, 2018 [Link]
- ‘Ionic pill could replace daily injections for diabetics’ – PharmaTech.com, June 26, 2018 [Link]
- ‘Needle-free future for people with diabetes?’ – WebMD, June 25, 2018 [Link]
- ‘Diabetes – The insulin pill may finally be here’ – Medical News Today, June 26, 2018 [Link]
- ‘Pill may replace injection to deliver insulin, other peptide drugs’ – Genetic Engineering and Biotechnology News, June 26, 2018 [Link]