Amanda Brooks, PhD
116B Sudro Hall
Office Phone 701.231.7906
Bio Lab Phone 701.231.7533
Research Lab Phone 701.231.7877
2006 Ph.D., Molecular Biology. University of Wyoming, Laramie, WY
Major areas of study: Recombinant Protein Engineering and Expression, Material Science
1998 B.S., Biology, Genetic Engineering Emphasis. University of Utah, Salt Lake City, UT
Dr. Brooks' current research interests lie in developing: 1) antimicrobial biomaterial surfaces via a variety of molecular and chemical techniques as well as development of novel controlled antibiotic release strategies to combat the emerging problem of antibiotic drug resistance, 2) combination hemocompatible, antimicrobial biomaterial surface coating, and 3) novel combination polymers for advanced drug delivery. As Brooks previous work focused on using recombinant protein technology to manipulate structure activity relationships, specifically for structural proteins, molecular engineering of biomimetic, biocompatible polymers based on spider silk proteins will be used as a platform to incorporate chemically and biologically reactive function groups.
Academic and Professional Appointments
2001-2002 Adjunct Faculty, Department of Mathematics, Casper College, Casper, WY
2007-2008 Postdoctoral Research Associate, Department of Bioengineering, Cartilage tissue genetics, University of California, San Diego, CA
2008 Research Associate, Department of Molecular Biology, Lactobacillus acidophilus recombinant protein expression, University of Wyoming, Laramie, WY
2008-2010 Postdoctoral Research Associate, Department of Pharmaceutics and Pharmaceutical Chemistry, Biomaterials and controlled antibiotic release, University of Utah, Salt Lake City, UT
2010-2014 Research Assistant Professor, Department of Pharmaceutics and Pharmaceutical Chemistry, Biomaterials and controlled antibiotic release, University of Utah, Salt Lake City, UT
2012-2014 Conflict of Interest Senior Analyst, Vice President for Research, University of Utah, Salt Lake City, UT 2012-2014
2012-2014 Senior Scientist, EluteInc, Salt Lake City, UT
2014-present Assistant Professor, Department of Pharmaceutical Sciences, North Dakota State University, Fargo, ND
Professional Societies Service Responsibilities and Editorial Activities
Board for Rocky Mountain Bioengineering Society
Conference Chair, Rocky Mountain Bioengineering Symposium 2015
National Editorial Board, National Conference on Undergraduate Research Proceedings Journal, 2010
Controlled Release Society
American Association of Pharmaceutical Scientists
Utah Women in Higher Education
Association for Women in Science
Gamma Sigma Delta Honor Society of Agriculture
Molecular Biology Graduate Student Organization, President 2005-2006
Molecular Biology Graduate Student Organization, President 2004-2005
2004 Best poster (doctoral category) -- Rocky Mountain Bioengineering Symposium
2005 Best Presentation -- Rocky Mountain Bioengineering Symposium
2005 Graduate Student Symposium Best Presentation
2006 Graduate Student Symposium Best Presentation
Invited Lectures and Conference Presentations
MOLB 1010, Science and Society, 3 lecture, University of Wyoming, Laramie, WY
MOLB 5510, Intro to Virology, 3 lectures, University of Wyoming, Laramie, WY
BIOENG 6301, Recombinant Protein Biomaterials, 4 lectures, University of Utah, Salt Lake City, UT
PHARMA 7020, Recombinant Materials, 1 lecture, University of Utah, Salt Lake City, UT
Chemistry Regional Conference, Laramie, WY
Current Challenges in Mechanics and Materials, Laramie, WY
Annual Arachnology Association, Norman, OK
41st, 42nd, 47th, 48th, 49th, 50th Annual Rocky Mountain Bioengineering Symposium
Graduate Student Symposium, University of Wyoming, 2004, 2005, 2006
Mountain West Biomedical Engineering Conference, Park City, UT 2009
American Academy of Orthopedic Surgeons, San Diego, CA 2011
- Brooks AE and Lewis RV. "Probing the Elastic Nature of Spider Silk in Pursuit of the Next Designer Fiber" in Biomedical Sciences Instrumentation, 40, 232 – 237, 2004.
- Brooks AE, Creager MS, Lewis RV. “Altering the Mechanics of Spider Silk Through Methanol Post-spin Drawing” in Biomed Sci Instrum, 41, 1-6, 2005.
- Brooks AE, Steinkraus HB, Nelson SR, Lewis RV. ”An investigation of the divergence of major ampullate silk fibers from Nephila clavipes and Argiope aurantia.” Biomacromolecules, 6(6); 3095-9, 2005.
- Brooks AE and Lewis RV. "Probing the Elastic Nature of Spider Silk in Pursuit of the Next Designer Fiber" republished in Chemical Technology, May pg:12-14, 2006.
- Brooks AE, Brother TJ, Creager MS, Lewis RV. “A Novel Methodology to Explore the Viscoelasticity of Spider Major Ampullate Silk.” Journal of Biomaterials and Biomechanics, 5, pg: 158-165, 2007.
- Brooks AE, Stricker SM, Joshi SB, Kamerzell TJ, Middaugh CR, Lewis RV. “Properties of Synthetic Spider Silk Fibers Based on Argiope aurantia MaSp2.” Biomacromolecules, Jun 9(6), pg: 1506-1510, 2006.
- Brooks AE, Nelson SR, Jones JA, Koenig C, Hinman M, Stricker S, Lewis RV. “Distinct Contributions of MaSp1 and MaSp2 to the Mechanical Propertied of Major Ampullate Silk Fibers.” Nanotechnology, Science, and Applications, 1, pg 9-16, 2008.
- Brooks AE, Brooks BD, Creager MS, Lewis RV. “Analyzing the clustering effects of major ampullate silk mechanical properties.” Biomed Sci Instrum., 45, pg: 232-7, 2009.
- Brooks BD, Brooks AE, Wulff SS, Lewis RV. “Identification of Problems Developing an Ultrasensitive Immunoassay for the Ante Mortem Detection of the Infectious Isoform of the CWD-Associated Prion Protein.” Journal of Immunoassay and Immunochemistry, 30(2), pg: 135, 2009.
- Teule F, Cooper AR, Furin WA, Bittencourt D, Rech EL, Brooks AE, Lewis RV. “A Protocol for the Production of Recombinant Spider Silk-Like Proteins for Artificial Spinning.” Nature Protocols, 4(3), pg341-55, 2009.
- Sevy JO, Slawson MH, Grainger DW, Brooks AE. “Assay Method for Polymer-Controlled Antibiotic Release from Allograft Bone to Target Orthopaedic Infections.” Biomed Sci Instrum., 46, pg:136-41, 2010.
- Davidoff SN, Call BP, Hogrebe PH, Grainger DW, Brooks AE.” A Robust Method to Coat Allograft Bone with a Drug-Releasing Polymer Shell.” Biomed. Sci. Instrum., 46, pg: 184-9, 2010.
- Creager MS, Jenkins JE, Thagard-Yeaman, Brooks AE, Jones, JA, Holland GP, Yarger JL. “Solid-State NMR Comparison of Various Spiders’ Dragline Silk Fiber.” Biomacromolecules. 11(8), pg: 2039-43, 2010
- Creager MS, Izdebski T, Brooks AE, Yarger JL, Lewis RV. “Observations of Metabolic Pathways Using 13C Isotopically Labelled Major Ampullate Spider Silk and ssNMR” Journal of Comparative Biochemistry and Physiology A. 159(3), pg:219-24, 2011.
- (2011) Diekjurgen D, Astashkina AI, Grainger DW, Brooks AE. ” Alterations in Primary Macrophage Activation in Response to Lipopolysaccharide Based on Protein Surface Coating.” J Biomater Sci Polym Ed. PMID:21722418, 2011
- Davidoff SN, Sevy JO, Brooks BD, Grainger DW, Brooks AE. “Evaluating antibiotic release profiles as a function of polymer coating formulation.” Biomed. Sci. Instrum, 47, pg: 46-51, 2011.
- Brooks BD, Brooks AE, Grainger DW. “Antimicrobial Medical devices in preclinical development and clinical use.” Book chapter. Springer, Accepted, 2012
- Jones CF, Campbell RA, Brooks AE, Assemi S, Tadjiki S, Thiagarajan G, Mulcock C, Weyrich AS, Brooks BD, Ghandehari H, Grainger DW. “Cationic PAMAM dendrimers aggressively initiate blood clot formation.” ACS Nano, Nov 27; 6(11): 9900-10, 2012.
- Davidoff SN, Lawson TS, Grainger, DW, Brooks AE. “Scanning Electron Image Analysis For Detection Of Implant Degradation And Host Healing Following Orthopedic Surgery.” Biomed. Sci. Instrum, 49, pg:165-171, 2013.
- Brooks AE, Brooks BD, Davidoff SN, Call BP, Hogrebe PC, Fisher MA, Grainger DW. “Tailored, Polymer-Controlled Release of Tobramycin from Allograft Bone Void Filler.” Drug Delivery and Translational Research. Doi. 10.1007/s13346-013-0155-, 2013
- Brooks BD, Sinclair KD, Davidoff SN, Lawson S, Williams AG, Coates B, Grainger DW, Brooks AE. “Molded Polymer-Coated Composite Bone Void Filler Improves Tobramycin Controlled Release Kinetics” J Biomed Mater Res B Appl Biomater. 102(5), pg:1074-1083, 2013.
- Brooks BD, Davidoff SN, Grainger DW, Brooks AE. “Comparisons of release of several antibiotics from antimicrobial polymer-coated allograft bone void filler.” International Journal of Biomedical Materials Research, 1(2), pg:21-25, 2013
- Brooks BD, Sinclair K, Drainger DW, Brooks AE. “A Resorbable Antibiotic-Eluting Polymer Composite Bone Void Filler for Perioperative Infection Prevention in a Rabbit Radial Defect Model.” PLOS One In submission, 2014.
- Brooks BD and Brooks AE. “Therapeutic Strategies to Combat Antibiotic Resistance.” Advance Drug Delivery Reviews. In submission, 2014.
- Jones CF, Holt DJ, Brooks AE, Brooks BD, Grainger DW. “Nanoparticles interact with endotoxin and confound assay quantitation in vitro.” J. Am. Chemical Society. In preparation, 2014.
- Diekjurgen D, Kurtzeborn K, Grainger DW, Brooks AE. “Endowing A Spider Silk Biomimetic with Heparin Binding Functionality” Biomacromolecules. In submission, 2014.
Hogrebe PC, Evans B, Brooks AE, Grainger DW. “Controlled Release Tissue Graft Combination Biomaterials”, International Application Serial No. PCT/US11/31394
Brooks AE, Schoen K, Grainger DW.” A Novel Self-Renewing, Heparin-Binding, Spider Silk-Based, Anti-Microbial Device Surface Coating”, In preparation Utah number U-4992