Content | Navigation |



Student Grievances


Student Grievance. A written statement by a student regarding the University's provision of educational and academic services claiming a violation of a University rule, policy, or established practice that affects that student’s education. The written complaint must be submitted to the Office of the Provost in order to rise to the level of a grievance.

Because these are handled by specific procedures, student academic grievances do not include issues regarding:

  • University employment
  • Disciplinary action under the Code of Student Life
  • Grade disputes
  • University admission decisions
  • Billing and student accounts

Student Complaint. A written claim concerning a college or university issue brought by a student alleging improper, unfair, or arbitrary treatment. Complaints may be submitted by email to the Provost (for academic matters) or the Vice Provost for Student Affairs and Enrollment Management (for non-academic matters).

Grievances and complaints can be submitted to the Office of the Provost by email to Please put “Grievance” in the subject heading.

Guidelines and procedures for grievances that fall within the bulleted list above are available at the Student Affairs forms and resources page.

Student Focused. Land Grant. Research University.

Follow NDSU
  • Facebook
  • Twitter
  • RSS
  • Google Maps

Site Manager: Melissa Lamp
Published by the Office of the Provost

Last Updated: Friday, September 08, 2017 12:20:14 PM
Privacy Statement