Dean of Science and Mathematics
North Dakota State University (NDSU) seeks a visionary leader to fill the position of Dean of the College of Science and Mathematics (CSM). The College is home to eight departments (Biological Sciences, Chemistry and Biochemistry, Coatings and Polymeric Materials, Geosciences, Mathematics, Physics, Psychology, and Statistics), 1,432 undergraduate students, 380 graduate students, and 120 faculty. In 2018, the researchers in the College garnered over $8 Million in external funding with nearly $50 Million over the past five years. The Dean is the chief executive officer and reports to the Provost. The Dean is responsible for administering the College and its programs and works closely with CSM Department Heads and Chairs.
Please submit a cover letter, curriculum vita, names and contact information for five references, and a one-page statement on leadership philosophy which addresses creating inclusive environments where diversity and integrity are valued.
For best consideration apply by August 1, 2019.
- A terminal degree from an accredited institution in one of the disciplines in the College or related field.
- Academic achievement or equivalent sufficient for tenure at the level of full professor in one of the College’s departments.
- Successful administrative experience with fiscal and managerial responsibilities, at the level of department chair or equivalent.
- Demonstrated understanding of the mission and values of a land-grant research university with both internal and external constituencies, including support of faculty research; scholarly inquiry; student learning, especially knowledge of active learning pedagogies and a commitment to student retention and graduation; service to constituents; and shared governance.
- Successful experience in supporting diversity and inclusion and creating a welcoming environment for diverse faculty, staff, and students.
- Effective oral and written communication skills.
- Successful experience with graduate programs related to Science and Mathematics.
- An understanding of national trends in undergraduate and graduate education.
- Demonstrated ability to implement a shared strategic vision while supporting a collaborative work environment, and promoting research productivity and academic program reputation.
- Evidence of the ability to make strategic, evidence-based decisions in a culture of open communication.
- Demonstrated ability to work with external constituencies to develop support for the College.
- Documented success in fundraising.
- Demonstrated experience in recruitment and retention of a diverse group of faculty, staff, and students.
North Dakota State University is an Equal Opportunity employer and all qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to age, color, gender expression/identity, genetic information, marital status, national origin, participation in lawful off-campus activity, physical or mental disability, pregnancy, public assistance status, race, religion, sex, sexual orientation, spousal relationship to current employee, or veteran status, as applicable.
Search Committee Chair:
Margaret Fitzgerald, Dean, Human Development and Education
Search Committee Members:
- John Buncher, Assistant Professor of Practice, Physics
- Lizzette Cambron, PhD Candidate, Cellular & Molecular Biology
- Grant Henriksen, NDSU Alumnus
- Chris Colbert , Associate Professor, Chemistry and Biochemistry
- Dogan Comez, Professor, Mathematics
- Erin Conwell, Assistant Professor, Psychology
- Stephanie Day, Assistant Professor, Geosciences
- Kendra Greenlee, Professor and Chair, Biological Sciences
- Kayla Kottsick, Business Manager, College of Science and Mathematics
- Gang Shen, Associate Professor, Statistics
- Andriy Voronov, Professor, Coatings and Polymeric Materials