Thank you for your interest in the Department of Psychology at North Dakota State University! Applications for the Ph.D. in Psychology program are due January 15. Applications will continue to be reviewed on a rolling basis as space and funding allow.
Preparation of Application Materials
Before applying to the Ph.D. program, please review the list of faculty and their research interests. Our graduate training is particularly focused on mentored development, and therefore a good match between students and faculty advisors is essential for success in our program. On the application form you will be asked which faculty member(s) you would like to serve as your primary advisor, and in your personal statement you should describe how your research interests fit with the research program of your prospective advisor(s) and why you would like to work with them. You are welcome to contact faculty members in advance of preparing your application to ask if they are accepting new graduate students for the upcoming fall.
Required materials include:
- Statement of Purpose which describes your experience, research interests, career goals, and fit with prospective faculty advisor(s)
- Three (3) letters of recommendation
- Official transcripts from any college or university previously or currently attended
- General GRE scores – NDSU institution code: 6474
All graduate applicants must demonstrate proficiency with the English language. This requirement may be met by applicants who have
- been raised in a recognized country where English is the only official language
- earned a bachelor’s degree or higher from a recognized institution in a country in which English is the only official language
- achieved a satisfactory TOEFL (Test of English as a Foreign Language) or IELTS (International English Language Testing System) score
Submitting an Application
Applications are submitted online through the North Dakota State University Graduate School.
Application form for U.S. citizens or permanent residents: https://www.ndsu.edu/gradschool/apply/domestic_and_permanent_resident
Application form for international applicants: https://www.ndsu.edu/gradschool/apply/international