Scholarships & Endowments
Department of Psychology Scholarship and Endowment Opportunities
Listed below are the scholarships and endowments available within the Department of Psychology. Please read the eligibility criteria carefully prior to submitting any applications. Scholarship applications are accepted beginning December 1, 2022 through March 1, 2023.
To complete the online scholarship application please use the following link: https://www.ndsu.edu/onestop/scholarships and click on the "apply now" button. You will then be asked to log in using the same credentials that you use for blackboard.
For more information, contact Ben Austinson in Minard 232, or via email at firstname.lastname@example.org.
Dr. Patricia A. Beatty Scholarship
This scholarship is presenting on behalf of Patricia Beatty, who was a faculty member in the Department of Psychology for many years and left a generous endowment to the department for scholarships for psychology majors. This award is given annually to outstanding psychology juniors. Criteria for this scholarship includes:
- Be of at least credit junior status at the time of disbursement.
- Maintaining full-time status with satisfactory progress (GPA of at least 3.0).
- Continuing to be a psychology major.
E. V. Estensen Scholarship
Recipient(s) of this award will meet the following criteria:
- Be properly enrolled at NDSU at the time of application and disbursement.
- Be a declared psychology major.
- Be of credit senior status at the time of disbursement.
- Have a cumulative GPS of 3.5 or above.
- Consideration is given to student participation in department activities, i.e., research, Psych Club, colloquium, etc.
The final choice of the recipient(s) of the E.V. Estensen Scholarship shall be made by the Department of Psychology General Scholarship Committee having identified students meeting stipulation set forth under the above criteria. All selections will take place in the spring academic semester, with scholarship distributions to occur with enrollment in the following academic year.
Brady Oberg Legacy Scholarship
Recipient(s) of this award will meet the following criteria:
- Be a full-time psychology student of at least credit junior standing at the time of disbursement.
- Be either active duty, national guard, reservist, or veteran military personnel.
- Be intending to pursue a career in counselling veterans.
- Be intending to earn a masters or Ph.D.
The final choice of the recipient(s) of the Brady Oberg Legacy Scholarship shall be made by the Department of Psychology General Scholarship Committee having identified students meeting stipulation set forth under the above criteria. All selections will take place in the spring academic semester, with scholarship distributions to occur with enrollment in the following academic year.
William W. Beatty Endowment
This endowment supports the education and professional development of junior, senior and graduate students in psychology, especially through promotion of research opportunities and resources, and in accordance with designated uses and preferences.
Uses of funds are listed in general and relative order of preference:
- Travel support for students to attend a professional conference or meeting for which they have had a paper or poster accepted for presentation; or support for costs associated with conducting research project.
- Support to acquire library materials, e.g., professional journals or electronic subscriptions.
- Research assistantships and similar student awards or positions.
- Individual scholarships.
The final choice of the recipient(s) of the William W. Beatty Psychology Endowment shall be made by the Chiar of the department of Psychology, or the appropriate scholarship committee.
Kevin & Harriette McCaul Psychology Endowment
To support student travel to attend a professional conference or meeting for which they have had a paper or poster accepted for presentation.
Criteria for eligibility includes:
- The recipient(s) shall be properly enrolled as a student at NDSU in the College of Science and Mathematics with a declared psychology major during the time of actual disbursement of the award.
- The recipient(s) can be an undergraduate or graduate student.
- The recipient(s) shall be attending a professional conference or meeting for which they have had a paper or posted accepted for presentation.
The final choice of the recipient(s) of the Kevin and Harriette McCaul Psychology Endowment shall be made by the Chair of the Department of Psychology or the appropriate committee.
Psychology Department Research Award
Supports honors theses, graduate student theses, and undergraduate research fellowships. Research awards may take several forms:
- To pay tuition for courses that primarily involve individual research.
- To cover direct costs of doing research, including paying participant, buying small pieces of equipment, or purchasing standardized test materials.
- To support travel expenses to regional, national, and international conference in which the scholarship recipient gives a presentation of research conducted in the NDSU Department of Psychology.
Eligibility requirements include:
- Be a sophomore, junior, senior, or graduate student majoring in psychology at NDSU.
- Have a high academic profile.
- Be active in pursuing a research project in the Department of Psychology.
- Be able to write a clear statement describing the research project.
The Department of Psychology will accept written proposals from students for support of their research projects. The department will select as many deserving projects as can be supported by the available funds.
Faculty Development Endowment
This endowment serves as an ongoing source of financial support for faculty development by the Department of Psychology within the College of Science and Mathematics at NDSU. Funds will be provided to assist the faculty of the Department of Psychology in their teaching, research, and service responsibilities.
- Be tenure-track faculty in the NDSU Department of Psychology at the time of application and disbursement.
The final choice of the recipient(s) of the Faculty Development Endowment shall be made by the Chair of the Department of Psychology, having identified faculty meeting stipulations set forth under Eligibility.