Mendel's First Law
Study Questions1. What two experimental innovations did Mendel use that allowed him to discovery the laws of genetics?
2. What did Mendel conclude from his experiments?
3. Why is Mendel's First Law of Genetics called the Law of Segregation?
4. Why is Mendel's Second Law of Genetics called the Law of Independent Assortment?
5. What type of cross would produce the following genetic ratios?
7. You hypothesized that snapdragon flower color is controlled in a co-dominant manner. You created an F1 population by crossing red and white parents. You selfed the F1 plants and obtained the following ratio: 31 red, 66 pink, and 27 white flowered plants. Perform an analysis of this data to determine if co-dominant gene action is the correct hypothesis.
8. What is the difference between epistasis and pleiotropy?
9. Two corn homozygous, white-seeded corn lines were crossed and all progeny were red-seeded. These red-seeded F1 progeny were selfed, and the population segregated 9 red-seeded:7 white-seeded. Explain these results by determining the number of genes controlling seed coat colors and giving the genotypes of the parents.
10. How does a modifier gene influence the expression of a phenotype?
11. How are penetrance and expressivity related?
Copyright © 2000. Phillip McClean