Beginning quiz: COMM 362, Design for Print
1. What is the difference between a fine artist and a graphic artist?
a. No difference.
b. Graphic artist works with printers.
c. Graphic artist finds solutions to editorial objectives.
d. Graphic artists seldom work with color.
2. Your art director says your text is hard to read, and asks you to add more leading. What do you do?
a. Add more space between letters.
b. Add more space between words.
c. Add more spece between lines of type.
d. Add more space between paragraphs.
3. Many newsletters rely on a standard 3-column grid. What does this mean?
a. Page is standard size, 8 1/2 by 11 inches.
b. Newsletter headlines must fit into single columns.
c. Newsletter photographs must fit into single columns.
d. Newsletter text must fit into single columns.
4. Your printer asks you to set up your computerized mechanical (InDesign file) using the CMYK color system. What does this mean?
a. Color system used by printers for published material.
b. Color system used by printers for duotone pictures.
c. Color system used by printers for books of more than 50 pages.
d. Color system used by printers for spot color.
5. Your paper manufacturer tells you, this is 50 percent rag, of course its more expensive. What does 50 percent rag mean?
a. Paper has a coated surface.
b. Paper has woven texture.
c. Paper has cloth content.
d. Paper has watermark.
6. What would be the problem with a color photograph thats out of registration?
a. Colors are slightly out of line, leaving a sort of ghost image.
b. Colors are copied, leaving a sort of beehive pattern.
c. Colors overlap the edge of the page.
d. One of the process colors is missing.
7. If you wanted to save a photo for use on a web site, whats usually the best format?
8. You choose 36-point type for your magazine headline. How big is that in inches?
a. One fourth inch.
b. One half inch.
c. Three fourths inch.
d. One inch.
9. Using InDesign software, you choose the PMS (Pantone Matching System) color swatches spot colors for your flyer. Why?
a. PMS ink is most accurate.
b. Ink mixing system preferred by printers.
c. Mixing system used primarily on web sites.
d. Colors match the Munsell color wheel guide.
10. Using Photoshop, you save your image at 72 dpi resolution. This probably means that
a. you plan to use it for your newspaper.
b. you plan to use it for your magazine.
c. you plan to use it for your web site.
d. you plan to use it for your art show.