Five functions of a socially responsible press, based on the 1947 Hutchins Commission report, "A Free and Responsible Press"
1. The press should offer a truthful, comprehensive account of the day's events in a context which gives them meaning. Perspective is important, not only objectivity.
2. The press should serve as a forum for comment and criticism.
3. The press should offer a representative picture of constituent groups in society; that is, no stereotyping.
4. The press should transmit cultural heritage, present and clarify goals and values for society.
5. The press should offer full access to the day's intelligence, that is, to reflect the public's right to know.