COMM 431, Mass Media Ethics: The SAD formula for making ethical decisions
- Situational definition
- Analysis of situation, application of moral theories
- Decision or ethical judgment
- identify conflicting values or facts;
- try to state the ethical question involved in one sentence.
- debate relative importance of conflicting values or facts;
- consider possibility of external factors;
- consider: "what do we usually do?"
- consider who will be affected, including you, colleagues, sources, advertisers, society;
- consider both your emotional and rational response.
- make final decision;
- justify final decision based on likely criticism from detractors.