If NDSU (at 10,000 students) were the whole world....
* 5,840 of us would be
* 1,240 of us would be African.
* 950 of us would be Eastern and Western European.
* 840 of us would be Latin American.
* 550 of us would be Russian.
* 520 of us would be North American.
* 40 of us would be Australian.
* 20 of us would be New Zealander.
Communication in class would be a challenge, because
* 1650 would speak Mandarin.
* 860 would speak English.
* 830 would speak Hindi.
* 640 would speak Spanish.
* 580 would speak Russian.
* 370 would speak Arabic.
The rest would speak Bengali, Portuguese, Indonesian, Japanese, German, French, and 200 other languages.
* 3290 would be Christian.
* 1780 would be Muslim.
* 1670 would be non-religious.
* 1320 would be Hindu.
* 620 would be Buddhist.
* 450 would be atheist.
* 30 would be Jewish.
The remander would be "other."
Classes could be exciting, because
* About 3300 would be children.
* 600 would be older than 65.
* 280 babies would be born each year.
* 100 people would die each year.
(Adapted from the World Village Project)
by Ross F. Collins <www.ndsu.edu/communication/collins>