Petrology Home Page
Petrology Course Resources
Lecture and Lab Syllabus
Student Projects 2018
Student Projects 2016
Student Projects 2014
Student Projects 2012
Student Projects 2010
Student Projects 2008
Student Projects 2006
Student Projects 2004
NDSU Geosciences Petrology 422/622
Petrology, Petrography, and Geochemistry Links Page
Petrology and Optical Microscopy
Recalculation of Mineral Chemical (microprobe) Analysis
- Links page for Optical Mineralogy and Petrography at the SERC Cutting Edge web site serc.carleton.edu/NAGTWorkshops/mineralogy/optical_mineralogy_petrography.html
- Petrology lecture notes from Tulane University (http://www.tulane.edu/~sanelson/eens212/index.html#Lecture%20Notes)
An impressive and complete set of igneous, sedimentary, and metamorphic petrology lecture notes, in both html and PDF formats.
- A links page for mineralogy and petrology resources, by John Winter (www.whitman.edu/geology/winter/MinPetLinks.htm)
- Optical Mineralogy Course Notes from Tulane University (www.tulane.edu/~sanelson/eens211/index.html)
Course notes on Optical Mineralogy can be found in both html and PDF formats on the Tulane University Geology Dept. web site.
- Guide to Thin Section Microscopy, Michael M. Raith, Peter Raase, and Jurgen Reinhardt (2012, second edition) 127 pp. (www.minsocam.org/msa/openaccess_publications/#Guide)
- rockPTX - thin section scans and video atlas of optical mineralogy and petrology, by Frank Mazdab (www.rockptx.com)
- Rogers Atlas of Rocks in Thin Section - high resolution thin section scans by Allen Glazner (strabospot.org/giga/)
- The Open University's Virtual Microscope Page https://www.virtualmicroscope.org/content/uk-virtual-microscope
- Virtual microscopy software together with a digitized thin-section library from RWTH Aachen University: http://www.ged.rwth-aachen.de/index.php?cat=Virtual_Microscope
- U. North Carolina Atlas of Igneous & Metamorphic Rocks, Minerals, & Textures
Systematics of Metamorphic Rocks - naming, description, etc., by the
IUGS Subcommission on the Systematics of Metamorphic Rocks (SCMR)
- Teaching Resources for Online Mineralogy and Petrology, compiled by the Mineralogical Society of America
- The Rock Identification Key - by Don Peck
- The Sonju Lake Intrusion, Northern Minnesota.
Pictures and descriptions of outcrops, and chemistry from the famous layered mafic intrusion in the Duluth Complex. Created by Karl Wirth of Macalester College, St. Paul, Minnesota.
- The famous Samail Ophiolite, Oman and the United Arab Emirates
The Oman Drilling Project, a multi-national collaboration.
Pictures (http://www.bris.ac.uk/Depts/Geol/vft/oman.html) and descriptions of outcrops from the Samail ophiolite. By Paul Browning
Web site on the Skaergaard layered mafic intrusion, east Greenland. By Kurt Hollocher.
- Roberto Weinberg's Geosite (http://users.monash.edu.au/~weinberg/)
Including pictures of Physical Igneous Petrology, Magmatic Structures, Mingling of Pegmatites and Diorites, Layering, Segregation structures, and more
Geochemical Modeling, Databases of Whole-Rock Geochemical Analyses for Igneous Rocks, Thermobarometry, Isotope Geochronology, and Plotting:
- MELTS Home Page
- PhasePlot,a computational thermodynamics package for calculating and visualizing phase relations on pressure-temperature grids. PhasePlot.org
- EarthChem, a 'One-stop-shop for geochemical data': http://www.earthchem.org/ with links to a number of databases.
- Georoc: http://georoc.mpch-mainz.gwdg.de/georoc/
- Navdat: Late Cretaceous to Holocene extrusive and intrusive igneous rocks from the western United States, British Columbia, and northern Mexico. http://www.navdat.org/index.cfm
- PetDB - A Petrological Database of the Ocean Floor: http://www.petdb.org/
- Geokem, Geochemistry of Igneous Rocks: http://www.geokem.com/index.html
- U.S. National Geochemical Database: Rock, from the USGS: https://mrdata.usgs.gov/ngdb/rock/
- PETROS, a worldwide database of igneous rock geochemistry: https://www.ngdc.noaa.gov/metaview/page?xml=NOAA/NESDIS/NGDC/MGG/Geology/iso/xml/G00030.xml&view=getDataView&header=none
- Volcanic Glass Data File, Smithsonian Institution: http://mineralsciences.si.edu/research/glass/vg.htm
- PETLAB , is a New Zealand rock catalogue and geoanalytical database. It contains locations, descriptions and analyses of rock and mineral samples collected from onland and offshore New Zealand and Antarctica by government, university and industry geologists. Information has been sourced from journal articles, theses, and open file reports. PETLAB is operated by the GNS and cooperating universities.
- IGPET is a suite of applications by Michael Carr for PC and Mac to manipulate and plot geochemical data. sites.google.com/site/igpethome/
A teaching version, t-IGPET is available at sites.google.com/site/tsigpetteaching/.
GeoChemicalData ToolKIT, or in short GCDkit, is a Windows program written by V. Janousek, C. M. Farrow, V. Erban & J. Smid for handling and recalculation of whole-rock analyses from igneous rocks.
* Standard geochemical calculations involving major-, trace-element as well as Sr-Nd data
* Effective data management (searching, grouping)
* Common plots (binary, ternary, spider diagrams)
* Graphic output to publication quality
* Modular architecture (= easily expandable and modifiable)
* Transparent functionality & availability (open sourcefreeware, WWW)
- (Link Down?) Petrograph, a windows program to visualize, elaborate and model geochemical data. http://www.unipg.it/~maurip/SOFTWARE.htm
- (Link Down?) Winrock, a petrology/geochemistry program for Windows. WinRock plots IUGS igneous classification diagrams, including QAPF diagrams, plus sandstone, general purpose XY, log, and ternary diagrams. http://www.geologynet.com/winrock.htm
- GPVPlot graphs geochemical data from multiple data sets saved and displayed as a PDF. For linux and Mac. It is written in Perl and gnuplot to maximize availability and customization. Through the computer’s terminal, the program prompts the user with a short series of questions from which a graphical output is generated as a PDF. http://myslu.stlawu.edu/~sbkand09/fellowship/download.html
- PetroPlot is a Visual Basic code for the spreadsheet program Microsoft Excel that automates petrologic plotting and data management. http://www.earthchem.org/petdbWeb/search/PetroPlot/index.html
- Tools for Petrologists is a great page with links to Excel sheets, modeling tools, reference data, etc. by Kayla Iacovino http://www.kaylaiacovino.com/tools-for-petrologists/
TriQuick, a general purpose plotting Windows program for creation and working with rectangular and ternary scatter diagrams and for viewing, creation and primitive editing of diagram graphics. By Dmitry Dolivo-Dobrovolsky.
- Practical Aspects of Mineral Thermobarometry (www.earth.ox.ac.uk/~davewa/pt/index.html). A tutorial with links to software, by Dave Waters.
- THERMOCALC (www.hpxeosandthermocalc.org) - thermobarometry and phase diagram calculations for metamorphic rocks, originally developed by Roger Powell and Tim Holland.
Perple_X, programs for calculating and displaying phase diagrams, phase equilibria, and thermodynamic data.
winTWQ (version 2.3): a software package for performing internally-consistent thermobarometric calculations. By R.G. Berman. Geological Survey of Canada, Open File 5462.
"ZirChron" — Virtual Zircon Analysis Isotopic Age Dating - Boise State Isotope Geology Laboratory
Gibbs, GTB, and Tetplot. Thermodynamic calculations of heterogeneous phase equilibria for metamorphic petrology; geothermometers and geobarometers; drawing of tetrahedral phase diagrams. By Frank Spear.
A number of programs, including PTQuick, PT_Gtrm, PTQ_Comb, PTQ_Avg, XFluid, TWQ_View, TWQ_Comb, Reactions, and more for petrology, mineralogy and crystallography. By Dmitry Dolivo-Dobrovolsky.