Records Retention Schedule
Some NDSU-specific (red) Record Category Numbers are also highlighted in yellow; this indicates that these numbers are also utilized in the NDUS Records Retention Schedule but for a different Records Series.
For NDSU purposes, such duplication should be disregarded, and the Record Category Numbers in column C are to be utilized as is appropriate for NDSU records, even if they appear on the schedule twice. It is especially important in such cases to ensure that the Records Series Title is included in the identification and reporting of these records.
The columns shown from the NDSU Record Retention Schedule include:
- Functional Area - The functional area name, which is a general grouping of the records series by area.
- Record Series Title - A brief title for the series.
- Records Category Number - (RCN) A six-digit number as defined in the ND Subject Classification System document.
- Record Series Description - A more complete description of the various types of records that are included in the series.
- Office of Record Retention - How long the office of record will keep the records before disposal. "Office of Record Retention" is defined as the organization or administrative unit that is officially designated for the maintenance, preservation and disposition of records. The Office of Record Retention is not always the office of origin. The Abbreviations Used for Record Retention Schedules contains a listing of the various abbreviations. For example, "6ACFY" means the records would be disposed of six years after the current fiscal year.
- Method of Disposal - The disposal method used by the Office of Record Retention when the retention period has ended.
- Confidential - Whether or not the record series may contain confidential information as indicated in the record series description documents (SF2042).
- Legal Reference - NDCC, Federal or other regulations impacting on records series. Also notation of duplication of records control numbers (highlighted in yellow).