Content | Navigation |

Review of Academic Progress for Undergraduate Students

Records of all undergraduate students are examined at the end of each semester to ensure that students are making consistent and realistic progress toward NDSU graduation standards. To be eligible to register continuously without conditions, a student must maintain good academic standing. The following minimum scholastic standards, relative to completed credits and institutional grade-point average, constitute good academic standing:

Minimum GPAClassificationCompleted Credits

Factors Contributing to Academic Standing

Graded (A, B, C, D, F) courses subject to honor points determine one’s grade point average and academic standing. Courses that do not earn honor points (P, W, AU) are not factored into standing, therefore neither advantaging nor disadvantaging the student. Minimum credits/courses are not required; standing is factored and applied to the academic record whether only one course is completed or multiple courses are completed during the semester.

Grade Changes

A grade change received from the course instructor for a course in the most recently completed semester may impact academic standing either positively or negatively. The semester standing is reviewed and is subject to change based on the new semester and cumulative GPA’s.

Grades of Incomplete

Courses graded incomplete by the course instructor at the close of a semester neither advantage nor disadvantage a student while in the incomplete status. When a grade of incomplete converts to a letter grade, the student’s academic standing is reviewed and may be either positively or negatively affected. For more information on the Grades of Incomplete process, visit the online Bulletin.

Defining Academic Deficiency

At the close of each semester, students failing to meet the minimum university standards listed above are issued an academic deficiency. A deficiency is meant to address academic concerns, and while a single weak GPA may not be significant, unchecked consistent deficiencies can result in irreparable cumulative GPA’s and have lasting impact to an academic record.

The following deficient standards are determined based upon the most recent review of both the term and cumulative GPA’s:

Academic Warning

Semester GPA below minimum; cumulative GPA at or above. Standing does not appear on the official academic record. Students are eligible to register for the following semester. No hold is placed on the student’s record.

Academic Probation

Semester GPA below minimum; cumulative GPA below minimum. Standing does not appear on the official academic record. Students are eligible to register for the following semester. An academic adviser hold is placed on the student’s record preventing registration activity. This hold can be removed by the adviser and ensures that students are talking to an academic official about their academic progress.

Continue Probation

Semester GPA at or above minimum; cumulative GPA below minimum. Standing does not appear on the official academic record. Students are eligible to register for the following semester. An academic adviser hold is placed on the student’s record preventing registration activity. This hold can be removed by the adviser and ensures that students are talking to an academic official about their academic progress.

Academic Suspension

Second consecutive semester and cumulative GPA’s below minimum. Standing does appear on the official academic record. Students are not eligible to register for the following two semesters. A registrar’s suspension hold is placed on the record so that no registration activity can occur. Any future registrations will be dropped by the Office of Registration and Records as part of the suspension process.

Additional information for each deficient category in available in the NDSU Undergraduate Online Bulletin.

Academic Deficiency Notifications

Students are formally notified of their deficiency via their NDSU email account. Students on suspension, probation and continued probation can also expect to receive a letter from the Office of Registration and Records 1-2 weeks after the close of the semester. The letter is sent to the address type labeled HOME in Campus Connection. Students are accountable for maintaining their address to ensure important University information is forwarded in a timely manner to the location in which the student currently resides. Not receiving notification does not exempt a student from the standing that was earned or any consequences that may accompany the standing.

Students may also view their academic standing on the unofficial transcript that is available on Campus Connection. This standing will appear approximately 4-5 business days after grade access begins online.

Academic Suspension

Students who are academically suspended must stop out for two grading periods following the suspension. Academic suspension should not be considered a penalty for poor performance but rather an indication that other factors or issues are preventing the student from making minimum academic progress. This stop out intervention is an attempt by the University to help students re-evaluate their situation and allow students an opportunity to address any circumstances preventing them from adequately learning and making progress toward a degree.

Because the goal of education is for a student to earn a degree, failure to meet minimum academic progress for at least two consecutive semesters is a clear indication that this goal is being offset by other more pressing issues. Identifying and resolving these issues is important and necessary for success in the classroom. The following questions may be considered in an effort to aid the re-evaluation process:

  • Did I select the right major of study?
  • Am I interested in school?
  • Do I have good study habits?
  • Is my work or other outside activities interfering with my study time?
  • Am I using my time productively or am I involved with questionable activities?
  • Are my friends influencing me or my behavior?
  • Is my learning style suited for a university setting?
  • Am I using the campus resources available to me?
  • Is NDSU the right learning environment for me? Too big? Too small?
  • Do I have an undetected learning disability?
  • Am I getting the appropriate assistance for a diagnosed learning disability?

Petitioning for Readmission

IMPORTANT: In order to be considered for readmission the student must file a Reactivation/Petition for Readmission form in the Office of Registration and Records at least 30 days prior to the beginning of the semester in which eligible readmission is sought following the stop out. Typically, students who have been suspended only one time will be allowed to return under the philosophy that “everyone deserves a second chance.” Students with multiple suspensions are reviewed by an Academic Affairs official. It is recommended all students provide a thorough explanation to Section C of the form.

If the petition is approved, the student may register but will be readmitted on probation. Students readmitted on academic probation must achieve the minimum grade point average required for their classification at the end of the returning semester to avoid being re-suspended. Suspended students may not transfer course work into NDSU that was completed during the suspension period. The Petition for Readmission form is available at

Extenuating Circumstances/Appealing Academic Regulations

Suspension Appeals

A student who has been suspended may appeal the suspension if there were extenuating circumstances which impacted academic performance that were beyond the student’s control. Extenuating circumstances must be documented and may include but not limited to an illness or death in the family. Should extenuating circumstances exist, an Appeal for Exception to Academic Suspension must be submitted in writing at the Office of Registration and Records no later than the close of business on the following semester start date.

CAUTION: Students who are awarded the appeal and allowed to enroll without serving the terms of their suspension need to be aware that a cumulative academic standing less than “good” will result in immediate re-suspension. In other words, if the cumulative GPA does not meet or exceed the minimum for the classification, the student will be re-suspended regardless of how well he/she does in the semester and will have to stop out for two semesters, no exceptions.

The suspension appeal form is available at

Academic Regulation Appeals

Students seeking a retroactive withdraw due to extenuating circumstances must complete and submit an Appeal for Exception to Academic Regulations along with documentation to verify the facts of the appeal. Appeals submitted without documentation will not be reviewed as there is no way to verify if the explanation of the appeal is accurate and true.

NOTE: Retroactive withdraws are not a mechanism for managing poor academic performance and selective course withdrawals are STRICTLY PROHIBITED. Appeals for retroactive withdrawal are for all courses in a given semester or nothing at all. The NDSU repeated course policy allows students to repeat individual courses in an effort to improve their GPA. The academic regulations appeal form is available at

Student Focused. Land Grant. Research University.

Follow NDSU
  • Facebook
  • Twitter
  • RSS
  • Google Maps

Office of Registration and Records
Phone: +1 (701) 231-7981 / Toll Free: +1 (800) 608-6378 / Fax: (701) 231-8959
Campus address: Ceres Hall 110
Physical/delivery address: 1301 Administration Ave., Fargo, ND 58102
Mailing address: NDSU Dept. 2831 / P.O. Box 6050 / Fargo, ND 58108-6050
Page manager: Office of Registration and Records

Last Updated: Monday, June 15, 2015 9:53:56 AM