Effective September 1975, the states of Minnesota and North Dakota enacted a tuition reciprocity agreement. This means that legal residents of Minnesota and their dependents may attend North Dakota State University and pay a special tuition rate that is lower than the non-resident rate. The Minnesota Office of Higher Education determines if a student is eligible.
- A student who has graduated from a Minnesota High School within the 12 month period prior to the first term of enrollment will not be required to complete a reciprocity participation application.
- A student who was enrolled, received reciprocity, and earned credits during any term of the academic year will automatically have benefits renewed for the following term at the same institution.
- Any student who is enrolling and has taken a break in semesters or is a transfer student, must complete a new reciprocity participation application.
- Returning students who have previously filed for tuition reciprocity but have not enrolled in a course or earned credit at NDSU during the past academic year need to re-file for reciprocity through the state of Minnesota.
Until reciprocity is granted, students are required to pay the Midwest Student Exchange Program (MSEP/MHEC) tuition rate, which is higher than the MN Resident rate. The Minnesota Reciprocity tuition rate is granted only to students that have received approval from the Minnesota Office of Higher Education and will be applied for the current term and concurrent future terms.
How to Apply
To be certified for Minnesota Reciprocity at NDSU, Minnesota students must complete the following:
- File an NDSU admission application (Office of Admission, Graduate School)
- File a reciprocity participation application with Minnesota:
- For faster processing: Print an additional copy of the "Congratulations" page and submit it to the Office of Registration and Records.
Questions may be directed to:
Minnesota Office of Higher Education
1450 Energy Park Drive, Suite 350
St. Paul, MN 55108-5227
1-800-657-3866 or 1-651-642-0567