Minnesota Tuition Reciprocity
Effective September 1975, the states of Minnesota and North Dakota enacted a tuition reciprocity agreement. This means that legal residents of Minnesota and their dependents may attend North Dakota State University and pay a special tuition rate that is lower than the non-resident rate. The Minnesota Office of Higher Education determines if a student is eligible.
How to Apply
To be certified for Minnesota Reciprocity at NDSU, Minnesota students must complete the following:
- File an NDSU admission application (Office of Admission, Graduate School)
- File a reciprocity participation application with Minnesota:
- For faster processing: Print an additional copy of the "Congratulations" page and submit it to the Office of Registration and Records.
A paper version of the application is available, but is only recommended for use when additional information is needed to supplement the online application.
- A student who has graduated from a Minnesota High School within the 12 month period prior to the first term of enrollment will not be required to complete a reciprocity participation application.
- A student who was enrolled, received reciprocity, and earned credits during any term of the academic year will automatically have benefits renewed for the following term at the same institution.
- Any student who is enrolling and has taken a break in semesters or is a transfer student, must complete a new reciprocity participation application.
- Returning students who have previously filed for tuition reciprocity but have not enrolled in a course or earned credit at NDSU during the past academic year need to re-file for reciprocity through the state of Minnesota.
Until reciprocity is granted, students are required to pay Midwest Student Exchange Program (MSEP/MHEC) tuition. The Minnesota Reciprocity tuition rate is granted only for the current term and concurrent future terms as approved on www.ohe.state.mn.us.
Questions may be directed to:
Minnesota Office of Higher Education
1450 Energy Park Drive, Suite 350
St. Paul, MN 55108-5227
1-800-657-3866 or 1-651-642-0567