The NDSU Research and Creative Activity (RCA) Office is organizing a 2021 Summer REU program. This program is intended to provide a coordinated, educational and dynamic research community to encourage research in undergraduate study. The participating students will conduct research independently (approximately 40 hours per week) through weekly mentoring by the project faculty mentors or project leaders, in addition to attending workshops, trainings, and other activities.
|NOTE: The deadline for this program has passed and we are no longer accepting new applications.|
This program will run for 6 weeks from June 21 to August 3, 2021.
Note: a few projects have 8 week durations and will start on June 7. This is noted on the Research Projects and Mentors page.
- Students will receive:
- A stipend of $500 per week ($4000 per 8 week projects and $3000 per 6 week projects).
- NDSU campus housing, at no cost to students.
- Funds up to $500 to purchase consumable research materials and the use of core facilities at NDSU.
- Cost of travel to Fargo may also be available upon request for students who have financial needs.
Multidisciplinary research projects: The detailed research projects are provided on this website for your information. Participants have the unique opportunity to work in an interdisciplinary environment with highly talented scientific mentors. Most experimental projects involve hands-on research in one or more of the state-of-the-art central instrumentation facilities with training and supervision provided by expert technical staff.
- Faculty-Led Seminars: Faculty and researchers involved in this program will present various research topics in this program and discuss future opportunities.
- Workshops and seminars: Short workshops and seminars will be offered for developing professional skills needed in industry, research, and graduate school.
- Networking & Social Activities: Students will have opportunities to explore the sites and summer activities in the Fargo-Moorhead area. Learn more about Fargo.
- End-of-Program NDSU REU poster symposium: At the end of the REU program, students will have the opportunity to formally present their research experiences through an NDSU REU poster symposium.
Research Projects and Mentors
- There are more than 20 research projects for students to select from in the 2021 NDSU Summer REU program.
Learn more about each project.
Students who are interested in applying are asked to submit the following items.
1. A completed online application form. You will ask for the following information in the online application:
- Contact information
- Demographic and personal information (some optional)
- Your research interests and a short research statement
- Educational background, honors and awards
- Any relevant research or work experience
- Names and contact information for two references (you can submit your application before your recommendation letters have been submitted)
2. Two professional references. E-mails will be sent to two professional references inviting each to complete and submit the reference form. References must be submitted via this form. The due date for all references to be returned is March 22, 2021.
- Must be a currently enrolled undergraduate who will not graduate before December 2021.
The application deadline for full consideration is March 15, 2021. Please do not mail, fax, or email any documents. All required items are submitted to the application site.
Selected students will be notified via e-mail and/or telephone in late March or early April 2021. A phone interview may be needed if more than four applicants apply for the same project. The selection process is expected to be finalized by April 12, 2021.
Should you have any questions, please feel free to contact Professor Huang by email at email@example.com
Thank you for considering this opportunity.
Frequently Asked Questions
I am not a citizen or permanent resident of United States, am I eligible?
I am a NDSU student, am I eligible?
Yes. However, preferences will be given to students from other institutions.
Where can I find the research project details?
Please refer to the “Research Projects and Mentors” for more information about each REU project.
What are the program dates? Are they flexible?
This program is expected to run for 6 weeks from June 21 to August 3, 2021. For several projects, longer sessions starting from June 7, 2021, are also available (these are noted on the Research Projects and Mentors page). Please refer to Research Projects and Mentors for more information. Due to the impact of COVID-19, the date can be flexible this year. If any other commitment, emergency or sickness resulting in shorter durations, please contact the Prof. Huang by email at firstname.lastname@example.org for appropriate arrangements.
What is the stipend for this program?
The stipend will be $500 per week ($4000 for 8 weeks and $3000 per 6 weeks). The actual stipend depends on the actual duration. We also provide up to $500 for materials and supplies, and travel fund is also available on request.
Is housing provided and what is the housing look like?
Yes. The campus housing on NDSU will be provided to students free of charges at MLLC as one student per room. Get more details about housing.
Do you provide a meal plan?
We do not provide a meal plan. There are on-campus dining services across the campus and the laboratories and residence halls are very close to many inexpensive restaurants and grocery stores.
How to apply?
You can apply online though our online application. Detailed application procedure please refer to Application Information.
How does the selection process work?
Once our applications have closed and all applications are reviewed for completeness, we open our application database to faculty mentors of the selected research projects in your application. Phone interview may be needed if more than four applicators for the same projects. As soon as a student is selected, an offer with a short project description is made to the student, and the mentor(s) are copied on the email. Students are given one week to respond. Once the student accepts the offer, we will send official paperwork. This process sometimes takes more time. Selected students will be notified via e-mail in early April 2021. The selection process is expected to be finalized by April 12, 2021. If you have any questions during the selection window please contact us at email@example.com and we will respond as soon as possible.
This REU program is supported by NIH Award # 2 P20 GM103442-19A1/Subaward UND0025451.