Prior to Award: Sponsors may contact PI’s or SPA to request updated proposal information to continue with the proposal review process or a sponsor may need updated information in order to issue an award. PI’s work with SPA to develop a response to sponsor requests and SPA submits documentation to sponsor agency. See Prior to Award section for additional guidance.
Just-in-Time/Supporting Proposal Information
After a proposal has been submitted a sponsor may contact the PI or SPA to submit supporting proposal information such as IRB/IACUC approvals, current and pending support, completion of sponsor specific forms, etc. PI should forward all sponsor requests to SPA and SPA will work with PI to respond to sponsor request.
The need to establish advanced spending may arise when:
- NDSU has received an award but spending is necessary prior to the official start date fo the project so expenses will fall outside the period of performance of an award.
- Spending is necessary prior to the internal set-up of an award but expenses will fall within the anticipated period of performance of an award.
- Award is already in place but NDSU is waiting on receipt of an incremental funding award notice (e.g. additional year funding).
- A no-cost extension has been requested and NDSU is waiting on sponsor approval.
Process to request advanced spending:
- Principal investigator (PI) initiates advanced spending by consulting supervisor (chair/head/director/dean) and include's sponsor's intent to fund the project. PI sends documentation
- Supervisor sends email to SPA containing the following information: proposal or award number, any restrictions on dollar amount and/or time restrictions, documentation of sponsor's intent to fund the project and an acknowledgement that the department/college assumes responsibility for any expenses not reimbursed by the sponsor.
SPA will review the request and forward approved requests to Grant and Contract Accounting. Approval is contingent on the above criteria as well as satisfactory completion of applicable compliance requirements (IACUC, IRB, IBC, FCOI, and COI). Submit advanced spending requests to SPA at firstname.lastname@example.org.
If a sponsor agency determines that it intends to fund a proposal but at an amount less than what was requested in the budget, the agency may request a revised budget. If a PI is asked by a grant agency to revise a proposed budget, a new proposal transmittal form is not required. The following steps should be completed before submission of a revised budget to a sponsor agency:
- Make a copy of the original signed proposal transmittal form (PTF)
- Write REVISED at the top of the PTF copy in large letters
- Attach it to the revised budget pages
- Bring all to Sponsored Programs for re-review and final approval and signature
- Once signed the revised budget should be submitted to the sponsor agency.
If you have questions, please contact the Budget & Program Officer, phone 231.5259 or email email@example.com.