Content | Navigation |

Residence Life


General Information

For more information about our apartments, select from the items on the left, or read through some of the Apartment Frequently Asked Questions (FAQs) below.

For more information about the Fargo/Moorhead community, read through some of the Other Frequently Asked Questions (FAQs) at the bottom of the page.

Apartment FAQs

Who is eligible to live in University apartments?

All occupants of an apartment must fall under one of the following categories:

This includes any student who is currently enrolled at North Dakota State University, and has completed a minimum of 2 semesters of college level course work post high school graduation or reached 20 years of age by the time of occupancy.

This includes any graduate (masters or doctoral) student who is currently enrolled at North Dakota State University, and has completed a bachelor’s degree program.

This includes any post-doctoral research fellow with written verification of a fellowship.  Verification must be provided prior to assignment and every semester thereafter.  Post-doctoral research fellows are eligible to live in University Apartments for no more than five (5) years from the date of occupancy.

Faculty, staff, and visiting scholars/researchers working at North Dakota State University are eligible to live in University Apartments for no more than one calendar year from the date of occupancy.  Verification of employment must be provided prior to assignment.
Licensees who meet the eligibility requirements in sections 2.d.i, through 2.d.iv may have spouses and dependent family members reside with them for the duration of their occupancy.  A copy of a marriage certificate and/or proof of dependency must be presented prior to occupancy.

How do I apply?

The student or future student must fill out an apartment application and submit a $200 application fee.  

How can I pay my application fee?

The fee may be paid by cash, check, money order or credit card.  To pay by credit card, click here.

Do the apartments have a waiting list?

Yes, a waiting list is established by the date that the application and application fee are received.  No additional priority is given to an applicant based on University status/classification.  

Is the application fee refundable?

Yes, the reservation fee is refundable if you don’t get an apartment or change your mind and want to be removed from the waiting list.  In order to get this money back you must make the request in writing by e-mailing, mailing or filling out a form with the Residence Life Office. 

If I cancel my application, how long before I receive a refund of my application fee?

Once a credit has been placed on your account it can take Customer Account Services up to 3-4 weeks to issue a refund.  Accounts with outstanding balances will be paid before refunds are issued.  Depending on payment method, refunds will either be in the form of a check or credit back to issuing credit card. 


How far in advance do I need to give notice before leaving?

When vacating, licensee must furnish the Department of Residence Life with a written notice of Intent to Vacate sixty (60) days in advance. Failure to provide a written notice of Intent to Vacate 60 days in advance of vacancy will result in a penalty fee of one of the following:

1.     Licensees that are short 10 days or less of the required 60 day notice will be assessed rent through the end of the 60 day period.

2.     Licensees that are short between 11 and 30 days of the required 60 day notice will be assessed a $250 fee.

3.     Licensees that are short between 31 and 60 days of the required 60 day notice will be assessed a $500 fee.

What do I have to do after submitting my vacating notice?

At least 5 days before you vacate you must contact your complex manager to schedule a  check out. Click here for the check out procedures.

Do I have to get a parking permit for the apartments?

Parking permits may be purchased via Campus Connection.  Questions about parking permits may be addressed by contacting the Parking Office at 1801 15th ave N., Fargo, ND, 58102 or  701.231.5771.

Is internet provided?

Yes, internet is provided through a cable modem (for University Village) or through a designated port (for Bison Court and Niskanen Expansion) and is no charge to the tenant.  When you check into your apartment you will be given instructions about how to set up your internet service. 

How do I pay my rent and when is it due?

Rent is due within the first 10 days of every month.  Rent can be paid at Bison Connection located in the Memorial Union or online.

I’d like to apply for an apartment but have not been accepted to NDSU yet.  Am I able to do so?

Yes, you may place your name on the waiting list for an apartment at any time.  Payments will be processed once an NDSU ID number has been assigned. 

What documents do I need to provide you proof of my marriage or dependents?  

You must provide the Residence Life Office with a marriage certificate or birth certificate, depending upon what your case may be.

Does each apartment have a bathroom/stove/refrigerator?

Yes, each apartment has each of these things.  

What is the length of the contract?

The apartment license agreement is effective from June 1 to May 31 each year.  Students may vacate an apartment at any time, with a 60 day vacating notice. Tenants are required to sign a new license contract prior to June 1.  Failure to do so may result in a hold being placed on the student account.  Even though the contract ends on May 31, tenants are still required to provide Residence Life with a vacating notice if planning to leave at that time.  

Can I remain in the apartment even if I’m not registered for the summer?

Yes, any student may reside in the apartments over the summer as long as he or she is registered for fall semester.    

Can I have a fish tank in the apartments?

Yes, fish tanks up to 10 gallons in size are permitted.  

Is there laundry service available?

Yes, coin-operated laundry rooms are provided in each of the apartment courts and buildings.  

Is there telephone service provided?

Telephone service is provided through NDSU Telecommunications, located in Thoreson Maintenance.  Telephone service is provided at Niskanen Expansion.

Does each person/tenant fill out a contract and submit the $200 application fee?

Yes, each tenant in the apartment is required to fill out the contract and submit the application fee.  The application fee goes toward the first month's rent.

What is my address?

Detailed mailing address information may be found here.  

Can I have a guest?

Guests of the same sex are permitted for a maximum length of 30 days within a calendar year.

Other FAQs

*Note that all links provided below are to non-NDSU entities.  NDSU Residence Life does not officially endorse any of the information presented there, but offers the websites for informational purposes only.

What other information might I find helpful when moving to Fargo?

Metro Area Transit (MAT) bus system:

Hector International Airport:

Fargo Parks and Recreation:

F-M Convention and Visitors Bureau:

North Dakota Vacation Information:

Student Focused. Land Grant. Research University.

Follow NDSU
  • Facebook
  • Twitter
  • RSS
  • Google Maps

North Dakota State University
Phone: +1 (701) 231-7557 / Fax: (701) 231-7599
Campus address: Bison Court West 
Physical/delivery address: 1415 14th St N, Fargo, ND 58102
Mailing address: NDSU Dept. 3430 / PO Box 6050 / Fargo, ND 58108-6050
Page manager: Department of Residence Life

Last Updated: Monday, September 11, 2017 1:57:58 PM
Privacy Statement