LGBTQ and Ally Roommate Matching
The Department of Residence Life is committed to providing a safe and inclusive learning environment for all students who live on campus. As part of this commitment, the Roommate Matching process has been established for students who request to be matched with a roommate who identifies as lesbian, gay, bisexual, transgender, queer/questioning, or is an ally (LGBTQA). For additional information about Residence Life’s commitment to diversity click here.
To ensure we are communicating in a similar way, some definitions are needed. For the purposes of this process we will use the following:
- Ally: A member of a majority group who works to end oppression – in their personal and professional life – through support of and as an advocate for an oppressed group.
- Sex: the identification of being biologically female, male, or intersex. Sex refers to the reproductive capacity or potential.
- Gender: An individual’s self-conviction of being a woman, man, or another gender. This is not contingent of the individual’s biological sex or based on the individual’s sexual orientation.
Before completing this form, consider the following:
- The content in this form is confidential. Information provided in this form will be utilized to make a match with another participant in the program.
- To be considered for a roommate match, you must have already submitted your on-campus housing application.
- Depending upon the number of requests for this matching process, you may experience some wait time between submitting this form and learning of your potential roommate assignment.
- The Roommate Matching Form should be submitted by May 1 for the fall semester to allow time to find a student who matches your housing selections.
- After May 1 the Roommate Matching Form may still be completed, however, options may be limited.
- Outreach will be made based on your preferred method of communication after submission of your form and after a match has been made. Additional outreach may occur throughout the process as needed.
If you have questions about the process or the status of your request, contact Carol.Jergenson@ndsu.edu.
Note: If you already know who you would like as a roommate you do not need to go through this roommate matching process. Requests for a specific roommate must be mutual and both requests should be received by January 1 for priority consideration.