Research Experiences for Teachers
Research Experiences for Teachers (RET) is a comprehensive professional development program in engineering, research, and design, focused on providing knowledge, skills, and resources to middle and high school rural educators in science, mathematics, and technology education. The program's theme, Precision Agriculture and Sustainability, is a 6-week summer research experience in the NDSU mechanical engineering department along with professional development workshops throughout the year. After completing the program, teachers will have critical resources for delivering course content with a renewed outlook on innovative teaching techniques creating increased student engagement and achievement in STEM fields.
- $8,000 stipend and $2,000 of classroom materials for each year of participation for in-service teachers
- Program is for rural teachers who are the only science, mathematics, or technology education teacher in their middle school or high school
- 6-weeks of summer research in NDSU's mechanical engineering department
- Four 2-day professional development workshops throughout the year
- On-campus housing, meals, and transportation are provided (if applicable)
- In-service teachers will be paired with an NDSU pre-service teacher for a collaborative research experience
- Optional course available for graduate credit
This project is funded by the National Science Foundation grant #1542370.