Gina Aalgaard Kelly, Ph.D.
Assistant Professor of Sociology
Office: Minard Hall 428C8
- Ph.D., Family Social Science, University of Minnesota, 2007
- M.S., Sociology, North Dakota State University 2000
- B.S., Sociology, North Dakota State University, 1999
Dr. Aalgaard Kelly’s research program focuses on medical and gerontological sociological issues in society. Medical topics of her research includes women and girls health, mental health and mental illness in the community and college environments. Dr. Aalgaard Kelly gerontological research has focused on quality of life in long term care for the elderly as well as successful aging.
Dr. Aalgaard Kelly is trained in Mental Health First Aid USA. Mental Health First Aid USA is a training designed to give individuals the skills to help someone who is developing a mental health problem or experiencing a mental health crisis. The course provides through discussion and demonstration how to recognize and respond to warning signs of specific mental illnesses. She has served as a NDSU Extension 4H Leader in Ransom County, ND for several years. She and her family have been an active and involved 4H family since 2006.
Dr. Aalgaard Kelly writes a bi-monthly newspaper column titled “Ransom on Health” for the Ransom County Gazette. Typically, one article a month for the ROH column focuses on mental health and mental illness issues relevant to Ransom County or the state of North Dakota. The other column focuses on physical health related problems or issues relevant to society.
- Aalgaard Kelly, G. United States Department of Health & Human Services and North Dakota Strategic Prevention Framework-State Incentive Grant (SPF-SIG). 2014-2015. “North Dakota Strategic Prevention Framework Grant in Ransom County North Dakota.” Role PI. Awarded $55,473.
- Flage, L., Goreham, G., Aalgaard Kelly, G., Jacquart, J., Olson, D. United States Department of Agriculture (USDA/NIFA/Michigan State University). 2015. “Affordable Housing Policies during Boom and Bust Cycles of Oil Development.” Role Co-PI. Awarded $14,270.00
- Skoy, E., Werremeyer, A. & Aalgaard Kelly, G., College of Pharmacy, Nursing and Allied Sciences Clinical/Translational Grant. 2014-2015. “Examining Mental Illness in College Students at North Dakota State University with Photovoice.” Role Co-PI. Awarded $2,500.00
- Werremeyer, A., Skoy, E. and Aalgaard Kelly, G. District Five National Association of Boards of Pharmacy and American Association of Colleges Pharmacy Study Grant. 2013 - 2014. “The Use of Photovoice to Qualitatively Assess Medication Experience in Patients taking Medication to Treat Mental Illness.” Role Co-PI. Awarded $3,000.
- Aalgaard Kelly, G. US Department of Health & Human Services, Office of Women's Health for Region VIII. Women's Health Ambassador 2013. "Women's and Girl's Health in Cass and Ransom Counties, North Dakota" Awarded $2,500.
- Werremeyer, A., Aalgaard Kelly G., Skoy, L. (2015). Using Photovoice to explore patients' experiences with mental health medication: A pilot study. Mental Health Clinician. Forthcoming.
- Aalgaard Kelly, G. (2015). Development and Examination of a Family Triadic Measure to Examine Quality of Life Family Congruence in Nursing Home Residents and Two Family Members. Gerontology and Geriatric Medicine. Forthcoming.
- Aalgaard Kelly, G. and Lazarus, J. (2015.) Perceptions of Successful Aging: Intergenerational Voices Value Wellbeing. International Journal of Aging and Human Development. 80(3). 233-247.
- Aalgaard Kelly, G., Werremeyer, A., and Skoy, E. (2014). Utilizing Photovoice Methodology to Examine Mental Health Medication Use. Australian Consortium for Social and Political Research Incorporated (ACSPRI) Social Science Methodology Conference Proceedings. https://conference.acspri.org.au/index.php/conf/conference2014/paper/view/829.
- Aalgaard Kelly, G. (2013). Quality of Life in Nursing Homes: A Theoretical and Empirical Review. Great Plains Sociologist, 23. 33-63.
- Aalgaard Kelly, G. and Townsend, C. (2013). A Comparative Approach to Promotional Methods for Seasonal Influenza Immunizations to Dorm Dwelling College Freshmen. Great Plains Sociologist, 23. 64-81.
- Aalgaard Kelly, G. (2012). Examining Social Support Systems in Assisted Living. Families in Society: The Journal of Contemporary Social Services, 93(3). 219-225.
- Medical Sociology and Gerontology
- Quality of Life in Long Term Care
- Mental Illness and Medication Use
- Women's and Girls Health
- Underage and Adult Substance Abuse
Funding for this research and outreach project was to Dr. Gina Aalgaard Kelly from the U.S. Department of Health and Human Services; Office of Women's Health.
- SOC 115 Social Problems
- SOC 426/626 Sociology of Medicine
- SOC 440/640 Sociology of Aging
- SOC 700 Quantitative Research Methods
- SOC 790 Seminar: Global Health