Dr. Tom DeSutter
Soil Science Program Leader
Office: 214 Walster Hall, Box 6050
Application of industrial by-products to soils; soil salinity and sodicity; fate and transport of manure-borne hormones in swine production facilities; distribution of mercury in surface and subsurface soils; and instrumentation for measuring soil physical and biological parameters.
May 2004. Kansas State University, Manhattan, KS.
Dissertation: Impacts of animal waste lagoons on the environment. Advisors: G.M. Pierzynski (Major Professor), J.M. Ham, G.J. Kluitenberg, A. Bhandhari.
May 1998. South Dakota State University, Brookings, SD
Thesis: Agrichemical concentrations on wind and nonwind-erodible sediment sizes as influenced by time, sediment size, and sorption-desorption characteristics. Major Professor: Dr. S.A. Clay
May 1994. South Dakota State University, Brookings, SD.
2006 to present: Assistant Professor, Department of Soil Science, North Dakota State University, Fargo, ND
2004-2006: Post-Doctoral Research Agronomist, USDA-ARS National Soil Tilth Laboratory, Ames, IA
SOIL 410/610, Soil and Land Use
SOIL 721 Environmental Field Instrumentation and Sampling
Soil and Watershed Management, Chulalongkorn University, Bangkok, Thailand (every other year)
- Reitsma, K.D., B.H. Dunn, U. Mishra, S.A. Clay, T. DeSutter, and D.E. Clay. 2015. Land-use change impact on soil sustainability in a climate and vegetation transition zone. Agron. J. 107:2363-2372.
- Amarakoon, D., D. Thavarajah, D.S. Gupta, K. McPhee, T. DeSutter, and P. Thavarajah. 2015. Genetic and environmental variation of seed iron and food matrix factors of North-Dakota-grown field peas (Pisum sativum L.) J. Food Comp. Anal. 37:67-74.
- Chatterjee, A., B. Geaumont, T.M. DeSutter, D. Hopkins, and M. Rakkar. 2015. Rapid shifts in soil organic carbon mineralization within sodic landscapes. Arid Land Res. Mngt. 29:255-263.
- DeSutter, T., D. Franzen, Y. He, A. Wick, B. Deutsch, and J. Lee. 2015. Relating percent sodium to sodium adsorption ratio and its utility in the northern Great Plains. Soil Sci. Soc. Am. J. 79:1261-1264.
- Dose, H., A.M. Fortuna, L. Cihacek, J. Norland, T. DeSutter, D. Clay, J. Bell. 2015. Biological indicators provide short term soil health assessment during sodium soil reclamation. Ecol. Ind. 58:244-253.
- He, Y., T.M. DeSutter, D.G. Hopkins, D. Wysocki, D. Clay. 2015. Relationship between 1:5 soil/water and saturated paste extract sodium adsorption ratios by three extraction methods. Soil Sci. Soc. Am. J. 79:681-687.
- Jyoti, V., B. Saini-Eidukat, D. Hopkins, and T. DeSutter. 2015. Naturally elevated metal contents of soils in northeastern North Dakota, USA with a focus on cadmium. J. Soils Sed. DOI 10.1007/s11368-015-1122-6.
- Fasching, S., J. Norland, T. DeSutter, S. DeKeyser, F. Casey, and C. Hargiss. 2015. The use of sediment removal to reduce phosphorus levels in wetland soils. Ecol. Rest. 33:131-134.
- He, Y., T. DeSutter, F. Casey, D. Clay, D. Franzen, and D. Steele. 2015. Field capacity water as influenced by Na and EC: Implications for subsurface drainage. Geoderma 245-246: 83-88.
- Shelver, W., T. DeSutter. 2015. Ractopamine soil uptake by alfalfa (Medicago sativa) and wheat (Triticum aestivum). J. Env. Sci. 34:86-92.
- Chambers, K.B., F.X. Casey, H. Hakk, T.M. DeSutter, and N.W. Shappell. 2014. Potential bioactivity and association of 17-β estradiol with the dissolved and colloidal fractions of manure and soil. Sci. Tot. Env. 494:58-64.
- Bai, X., F.X.M. Casey, H. Hakk, T.M. DeSutter, P.G. Odour, E. Khan. 2014. Sorption and metabolism of 17β-estradiol-17-sulfate in sterilized soil-water systems. Chemosphere doi:10.1016/j.chemosphere.2014.02.016
- Kolka, R., S. Fraver, P. Townsend, B. Sturtevant, P. Wolter, J. Miesel, and T. DeSutter. 2014. Forest floor and upper soil canopy carbon, nitrogen and mercury pools shortly after fire and comparisons to fire severity indices. Soil Sci. Soc. Am. J. 78:S58-S65.
- Rahman, M.M., Z. Lin, X. Jia, D.D. Steele, and T.M. DeSutter. 2014. Impact of subsurface drainage on streamflows in the Red River of the North basin. J. Hydrol. 511:474-483.
- Bai, X., F.X.M. Casey, H. Hakk, T.M. DeSutter, P.G. Odour, E. Khan. 2013. Dissipation and transformation of 17β-estradiol-17-sulfate in soil-water systems. J. Haz. Mat. 260:733-739.
- Akkajit, P., T.M. DeSutter, and C. Tongcumpou. 2013. Effects of sugarcane waste-products on Cd and Zn fractionation and its uptake by sugarcane (Saccarum officinarum L.). J. Environ. Monit. DOI: 10.1039/c3em00403a
- He, Y., T. DeSutter, and D. Clay. 2013. Dispersion of pure clay minerals as influenced by Ca to Mg ratios, SAR and EC. Soil Sci. Soc. Am. J. 77:2014-2019.
- Akkajit, P., T.M. DeSutter, and C. Tongcumpou. 2013. Fractionation of Cd and Zn in Cd contaminated soils amended by sugarcane waste products from ethanol production plant. J. Soils Sediments DOI: 10.1007/s11368-013-0691-5
- Akkajit, P., T.M. DeSutter, and C. Tongcumpou. 2013. Short-term effects of sugarcane waste products from ethanol production plant as soil amendments on sugarcane growth and metal stabilization. Environ. Sci.: Processes Impacts DOI: 10.1039/c3em00073g
- Betemariam, H., A. Davis, L. Stetler, C. McCutcheon, T. DeSutter, M. Penn, and J.J. Stone. 2013. Geochemical behavior and watershed influences associated with sediment-bound mercury for South Dakota lakes and impoundments. Water, Air, Soil Pollut. 224:1497 doi:10.1007/s11270-013-1497-1
- DeSutter, T., L. Cihacek, and S. Rahman. 2013. Application of flue gas desulfurization gypsum (FGDG) and its impact on wheat grain (Triticum aestivum L.) and soil chemistry. J. Environ. Qual. 43:303-311.
- He, Y., T. DeSutter, L. Prunty, D. Hopkins, X. Jia, and D. Wysocki. 2013. Relating the value of EC1:5 to EC of the saturated paste extract. Can. J. Soil Sci. 93:585-594.
- Kandel, H.J., J.A. Brodshaug, D.D. Steele, J.K. Ransom, T.M. DeSutter, and G.R. Sands. 2013. Subsurface drainage effects on soil penetration resistance and water table depth on a clay soil in the Red River of the North Valley, USA. Agric. Eng. Inter.: CIGR J. 15:1-10.
- Jia, X, T.M. DeSutter, Z. Lin, W.M. Schuh, and D.D. Steele. 2012. Controlled drainage and subirrigation effects on water quality in southeast North Dakota. Trans. ASABE. 55:1757-1769.
- Paradeis, B., S. Lovas, A. Aipperspach, A. Kazmierczak, M. Boche, Y. He, P. Corrigan, K. Chambers, Y. Gao, J. Norland, and T. DeSutter. 2012. Dog-park soils: Concentration and distribution of urine-borne constituents. Urban Ecosyst. 16:351-365.
- Guy, A., T. DeSutter, F. Casey, R. Kolka, and H. Hakk. 2012. Effects of major flooding on water and sediment characteristics in an urban environment. J. Environ. Qual. 41:554-563.
- He, Y., T. DeSutter, L. Prunty, D. Hopkins, X. Jia, and D. Wysocki. 2012. Evaluation of 1:5 soil to water extract electrical conductivity methods. Geoderma 185-186:12-17.
- Zuk, A., T. DeSutter, M. Hafdahl, and Q. Zhang. 2012. Kentucky bluegrass germination and early seedling growth under saline conditions. Appl. Turfgrass Sci. doi:10.1094/ATS-2012-0413-01-RS.
- Rahman, S., T. DeSutter, and Q. Zhang. 2011. Efficacy of microbial additive to reduce odor, ammonia, and hydrogen sulfide emissions from farrowing-gestation swine operation. Agric. Eng. Internat.: CIGR J. 13:1-9.
- Jalilov, S-M., T.M. DeSutter, and J.A. Leitch. 2011. Impact of Rogun Dam on downstream Uzbekistan agriculture. Int. J. Wat. Res. Env. Eng. 3:161-166.
- Derby, N., H. Hakk, F. Casey, and T. DeSutter. 2011. Effects of composting swine manure on nutrients and estrogens. Soil Sci. 176:91-98.
- Schuh, M.C., F.X.M. Casey, H. Hakk, T.M. DeSutter, K.G. Richards, E. Khan, and P. Odour. 2011. An on-farm survey of spatial and temporal stratifications of 17β-estradiol concentrations. Chemosphere 82:1683-1689.
- Zitnick, K.K., N.W. Shappell, H. Hakk, T.M. DeSutter, E. Khan, and F.X. Casey. 2011. Effects of liquid swine manure on dissipation of 17β-estradiol in soil. J. Haz. Mat. 186:1111-1117.
- DeSutter, T., P. Goosen-Alix, L. Prunty, P.M. White, Jr., and F. Casey. 2011. Smooth brome (Bromus inermis Leyss) and soil chemical response to concrete grinding residue application. Water, Air, and Soil Pollut. 222:195-204.
- DeSutter, T.M., J. Lukach, and L.J. Cihacek. 2011. Sulfur fertilization of canola (Brassica napus) with flue gas desulfurization gypsum: An assessment study. Commun. Soil Sci. Plant Anal. 42:2537-2547.
- Sande, L., M. Chu, and T. DeSutter. 2011. A new method for replicating complex microtopographic surfaces in laboratory box experiments. Appl. Eng. Agric. 27:615-620.
- Schuh, M.C., F. Casey, H. Hakk, T.M. DeSutter, K.G. Richards, and E. Khan. 2011. Effects of field-manure applications on stratified 17β-estradiol concentrations. J. Haz. Mat. 192:748-752.
- Ratpukdi, T., F. Casey, T. DeSutter, and E. Khan. 2011. Bromate formation by ozone-VUV in comparison with ozone and ozone-UV: Effects of pH, ozone dose, and VUV power. J. Env. Eng. 137:187-195.
- DeSutter, T., L. Prunty, and J. Bell. 2011. Concrete grinding residue characterization and influence on infiltration. J. Environ. Qual.40:1-6.
- DeSutter, T.M., and C.B. Godsey. 2010. Sugar beet processing lime as an amendment for low pH soils. Commun. Soil Plant Anal. 41:1789-1796.
- DeSutter, T., E. Viall, I. Rijal, M. Murdoff, A. Guy, X. Pang, S. Koltes, R. Luciano, X. Bai, K. Zitnick, S. Wang, F. Podrebarac, F. Casey, and D. Hopkins. 2010. Integrating field-based research into the classroom: An environmental sampling exercise. J. Nat. Res. Life Sci. Ed. 39:132-136.
- Shelver, W.L., H. Hakk, G.L. Larsen, T.M. DeSutter, and F.X.M. Casey. 2010. Development of an UPLC-MS/MS sulfonamide multi-residue method and its application to water, manure slurry, and soils from swine rearing facilities. J. Agric. Food Chem. 1217:1273-1282.
- Thompson, M.L., F.X.M. Casey, E. Khan, H. Hakk, G.L. Larsen, and T. DeSutter. 2009. Occurrence and pathways of manure-borne 17β-estradiol in vadose zone water. Chemosphere 76:472-479.
- DeSutter, T.M., and L.J. Cihacek. 2009. Potential agricultural uses of flue gas desulfurization gypsum in the Northern Great Plains. Agron. J. 101:817-825.
- DeSutter, T.M., T.J. Sauer, T.B. Parkin, and J.L. Heitman. 2008. A subsurface, closed-loop system for soil carbon dioxide and its application to the gradient efflux approach. Soil Sci. Soc. Am. J. 72:126-134.
- Heitman, J.L., R. Horton, T.J. Sauer, and T.M. DeSutter. 2008. Sensible heat observations reveal soil-water evaporation dynamics. J. Hydromet. 9:165-171.
- Casey, F.X.M., P. Oduor, H. Hakk, G. L. Larsen, and T.M. DeSutter. 2008. Transport of 17-estradiol and testosterone in a field lysimeter. Soil Sci. 173:456-467.
- Sauer, T.J., O.D. Akinyemi, P. Thery, J.L. Heitman, T.M. DeSutter, and R. Horton. 2008. Evaluation of a new, perforated heat flux plate design. Intern. Comm. Heat Mass Transfer 35:800-804.
- Sauer, T., J. Singer, J. Prueger, T. DeSutter, J. Hatfield. 2007. Radiation balance and evaporation partitioning in a narrow-row soybean canopy. Agric. For. Met. 145:206-214.
- DeSutter, T.M., T.J. Sauer, and T.B. Parkin. 2006. Porous tubing for use in monitoring soil CO2 concentrations. Soil Biol. Biochem. 38:2676-2681.
- DeSutter, T.M., G.M. Pierzynski, and L. Baker. 2006. Flow-through and batch methods for determining Ca-Mg and Mg-Ca selectivity. Soil Sci. Soc. Am. J. 70:550-554.
- DeSutter, T.M., and J.M. Ham. 2005. Lagoon-biogas emissions and carbon balance estimates of a swine production facility. J. Environ. Qual. 34:198-206.
- DeSutter, T.M., and G.M. Pierzynski. 2005. Evaluation of soils for use as liner materials: A soil chemistry approach. J. Environ Qual. 34:951-962.
- DeSutter, T.M., G.M. Pierzynski, and J.M. Ham. 2005. Movement of lagoon-liquor constituents below four animal-waste lagoons. J. Environ. Qual. 34:1234-1242.
- DeSutter, T.M., S.A. Clay, and D.E. Clay. 2003. Atrazine sorption and desorption as affected by aggregate size, particle size, and soil type. Weed Sci. 51:456-462.
- Clay, S.A., T.M. DeSutter, and D.E. Clay. 2001. Herbicide concentration and dissipation from surface wind-erodible soil. Weed Sci. 49:431-436.
- Ham, J.M. and T.M. DeSutter. 2000. Towards site-specific design standards for animal-waste lagoons: Protecting groundwater quality. J. Environ. Qual. 29:1721-1732.
- Ham, J.M. and T.M. DeSutter. 1999. Seepage losses and nitrogen export from swine-waste lagoons: A water balance study. J. Environ. Qual. 28:1090-1099.
- DeSutter, T.M., S.A. Clay, and D.E. Clay. 1998. Atrazine, alachlor, and total inorganic nitrogen concentrations of winter wind-eroded sediment samples. J. Environ. Sci. Health B33:683-691.
- Clay, D.E., J. Chang, S.A. Clay, M. Ellsbury, C.G. Carlson, D.D. Malo, D. Woodsen, and T. DeSutter. 1997. Field scale variability on nitrogen and delta15N in soil and plant. Commun. Soil Sci. Plant Anal. 28:1513-1527.
- DeSutter, T.M. 2008. Problems in production fields: Saline and sodic soils. In S. Logsdon et al. (ed.) Soil science: step-by-step field analysis. Soil Science Society of America Special Publication. Madison, WI. p. 183-200.