Dr. Shiny Mathews
Soil Testing Lab Director
Office: Waldron Hall 103
Office Hours: 8:00 - 5:00, M - F
Soil, plant, manure and water testing methodologies; fertilizer management; fate and transport of heavy metals, pharmaceuticals and pesticides in soil; phytoremediation.
Ph.D. Soil and Water Science. May 2011. University of Florida, Gainesville, FL
Dissertation: Arsenic hyperaccumulation by Pteris vittata L., arsenic transformation, uptake and environmental impact
M.S. Soil Science and Agricultural Chemistry. December 2002. University of Agricultural Sciences, Bangalore
Thesis: Behavior of alachlor in alfisols of Bangalore
B.S. Agriculture. December 2000. Kerala Agricultural University.
2015 to present: Soil Testing Lab Director, Department of Soil Science, North Dakota State University, Fargo, ND
2013-2015: Faculty Associate, University of Wisconsin, Stevens Point, WI
Introduction to Soil and Water Resources, NR 251
Soil Conservation and Watershed Inventory Techniques, Soils 359
2011-2013: Post-Doctoral Research Associate, Biosystems and Agricultural Engineering, Michigan State University, Lansing, MI
- Jiang, Y., Yin, X., Luo, X., Yu, L., Sun, H., Wang. N., Mathews, S. 2019. Sorption of vanadium (V) on three typical agricultural soil of the Loess Plateau, China. Journal Environmental Pollutants and Bioavailability. 31(1): 120-130.
- Qiao, J., Sun, H., Luo, X., Zhang, W., Mathews, S. and Yin, X. 2017. EDTA-assisted leaching of Pb and Cd from contaminated soil. Chemosphere. 167:422-428.
- Jiang. Y., Yu, L., Sun, H., Yin, X., Wang, C, Mathews, S. and Wang, N. 2017. Transport of natural soil nanoparticles in saturated porous media: effects of pH and ionic strength. Chemical Speciation & Bioavailability. 29(1) 186-196.
- Mathews, S., Henderson, S. and Reinhold, D. 2014. Uptake and Accumulation of Antimicrobials, Triclocarban and Triclosan, by Food Crops in a Hydroponic System. Environmental Science and Pollution Research. 21 (9) 6025 -6033
- Mathews, S. and Reinhold, D. 2013. Biosolid borne tetracycline and sulphonamide in plants. Environmental Science and Pollution Research. 20:4327–4338
- Ma, L.Q., Rathinasabapathi, B., Wang, X., Mathews, S. and Ghosh, P. 2012. Arsenic biotransformation and transfer from rhizosphere to plant, Understanding the Geological and Medical Interface of Arsenic - As, Arsenic in the Environment - Proceedings, CRC Press, 2012, pp. 101-103.
- Mathews, S., Rathinasabapathi, B. and Ma L.Q. 2011. Uptake and translocation of arsenite by Pteris vittata L.: effects of glycerol, antimonite and silver. Environmental Pollution. 159: (12) 3490-3495.
- Mathews, S., Ma, L.Q., Rathinasabapathi. B., Natarajan, S. and Saha U. 2010. Arsenic transformation in the growth media and biomass of hyperaccumulator Pteris vittata. Bioresource Technology, 101 (21): 8024-8030.
- Wei, S., Ma, L.Q., Saha, U., Mathews, S., Sundaram, S., Rathinasabapathi, B. and Zhou, Q. 2010. Sulfate and glutathione enhanced arsenic accumulation by arsenic hyperaccumulator Pteris vittata L. Environmental Pollution, 158: (5)1530-1535.
- Mathews, S., Ma, L.Q., Rathinasabapathi, B. and Stamps. R. 2009. Arsenic Reduced Scale-Insect Infestation on Arsenic Hyperaccumulator Pteris vittata. L. Environmental and Experimental Botany 65:282-286.
- Wei, S., Zhou, Q. and Mathews, S. 2008. A Newly Found Cadmium Accumulator--Taraxacum Mongolicum. Journal of Hazardous Materials 159:544-547.
- Mathews, S. 2006. Adsorption Behavior of Alachlor in Soil in different Humic Acid Levels. Research Journal of Chemistry and Environment, 10:80-84.