Violence Prevention Educators (VPE)
Violence Prevention Educators (VPE) are North Dakota State University students who are highly training in issues of sexual and relationship violence. These students develop and implement prevention and awareness efforts on the NDSU campus. Efforts include organizing campus wide events such as Take Back the Night and Sexual Assault Awareness Month, as well as facilitating workshops for peers in classrooms, residence halls, Greek chapters, and student groups (really, wherever students are, VPE’s will be there!).
2015 - 2016 Violence Prevention Educators
Become a VPE!
What kind of background do I need to become a VPE?
There is no specific experience necessary to apply – all accepted applicants will complete 40-hours of intensive training with local experts to gain essential knowledge and experience on sexual assault and relationship violence as well as program planning. and presentation skills.
The selection committee will be looking for well-rounded students who have strong skills in verbal communication, organization, and stress management. A passion for ending sexual and relationship violence in our community is required.
How much of a commitment is this program?
A big one – which is why it is so important that educators are passionate about the program and the issue. Commitments include:
- All members will participate in 40 hours of training that takes place throughout two weekends prior to the fall semester. No exceptions will be made.
- All members are required to attend weekly meetings that last approximately one hour. The date and time of the meeting will be coordinated based on the availability of all VPEs.
- All VPEs must be able to commit to at least one year with the program.
- Each VPE will facilitate at least one workshop/discussion per month
What will I gain from joining the VPE program?
- Increased knowledge of sexual and relationship violence and how it impacts our campus
- Public speaking experience
- Networking opportunities with professionals
- New friends!
- The knowledge that you are playing a major role in ending interpersonal violence in our community!
How do I apply?
Thank you for your interest in the VPE Program!
Please complete the application and submit either to firstname.lastname@example.org or drop off in the Office of Student Life, located in Memorial Union 250. Applications are due March 11, 2016 for the 2016-2017 academic year.
If you have questions please contact the Student Life Office at (701) 231-6560.